• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach Of Divorce Decree,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

believeinhim

My ex husband is retired from the marines, we divorced after 17 years of marriage, he did not pay me my spousal support had to garnish his wages, he owes me back pay, & want to know since he did not honor the judge's decision, can I ask for a percentage amount instead of a dollar amount? also I want his survivors benefits, also i want him to pay for my health insurance. I have been unemployed for almost 2 years we were divorced in mo, I feel like I am entitled to all the benefits of being married over 20 years since he refused to honor the judge's orders, he also makes $ 20.00 dollars an hour plus his retirement and his wife makes the same $20.00 an hour. I have a lawyer now, Just wanted to get some feedback, Thank You! for taking the time to help,

Proserpina

My ex husband is retired from the marines, we divorced after 17 years of marriage, he did not pay me my spousal support had to garnish his wages, he owes me back pay, & want to know since he did not honor the judge's decision, can I ask for a percentage amount instead of a dollar amount? also I want his survivors benefits, also i want him to pay for my health insurance. I have been unemployed for almost 2 years we were divorced in mo, I feel like I am entitled to all the benefits of being married over 20 years since he refused to honor the judge's orders, he also makes $ 20.00 dollars an hour plus his retirement and his wife makes the same $20.00 an hour. I have a lawyer now, Just wanted to get some feedback, Thank You! for taking the time to help,

We cannot (and should not) second-guess your attorney.

But generally, you can't ask for something you weren't ordered originally.

You can want all you like, but it doesn't mean the court will agree with you. And his wife's earnings are completely irrelevant.

Hopefully your attorney already explained that. :cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
His wife's income is unlikely to come into play. And... how long were you *actually* married? Because you give us two different durations. Thanks.

ecmst12

Looks like OP was ACTUALLY married for 17 years but wants the case to be treated as if they were married over 20.

nextwife

If you wanted to have life insurance on him, you could have addressed that anytime during the marriage or the divorce. Example: my spouse and I have had at least one life insurance policy against the other through most of our marriage - I pay the premiums on the life insurance I own against his life, he pays the premiums on mine. Neither of us, even if they suffered dementia and tried to change the beneficiary on the policy that benefits the other, COULD ever change it, as they don't own it.

Last edited:

tuffbrk

I am sure your attorney will advise you that the chances of your ex having to provide you with insurance is pretty much nil. As his wages are already garnished to pay your alimony, you are in a better position than a lot of other single women out there who are also unemployed. Hopefully, you have taken advantage of some of the shcooling and retraining opportunities offered by the Unemployment office.

believeinhim

Thank You for taking the time to read my post, the amount of garnishment monthly is $350.00, I was unemploed in the state of Michigan, it seems if you are trying to better yourself through education unemployment will penalize you not able to work in the day if that is the schedule you maintained before the epidemic of unemployment, since this has happened I have lived in 4 states, Florida, Michigan, New york, Florida, I have not only lost my job, I lost my children due to his cruel threats, My home was burglarized 2 years ago, I own nothing of value, it is all thrift store bought, I don't have any luxuries, like cable, no t.v. I am down to the bare minimum, so in answer to your question, did I take advantage of what the system had to offer no, I needed the unemployment check to be able to not be on the streets, this is from a military ex wife that fought tooth and nail along her husband no I did not wear the uniform, I fought the biggest fight and no parade no ribbons just stripped to nothing, where was my help when I asked for it, the commands reply" your husband is a very good Marine" we cannot justify intevening in family matters" I was pleading asking for help for our Family, Thanks Semper fi,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">