• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgirl99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California My ex-husband and I got divorced when my son was 2. Since then we have both gotten remarried. He gives me $200 a month and owns his own business that at one point was making 1 million a year. My husband makes about $120 thousand a year and before was making $70 thousand. They pay for nothing for him. We pay for all his clothes. They have 2 other younger children that all his money goes too. They don't go to any school ISP meetings or parent teacher conferences. The step mom texts me nasty texts when I talk to my ex. She never lets my ex spend alone time with my son, texts my son on a day and up until 1130 at night. My son and his father were supposed to have a father and son day but his dad lied and said he had to work and then went out golfing with the step mom and then she texts him and tells him that they are golfing. She has no boundries. She texts him all day when he is at my house but texts him things that she knows he will tell me. Can I do anything to set boundries for her through the court and should I take them back to raise child support.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California My ex-husband and I got divorced when my son was 2. Since then we have both gotten remarried. He gives me $200 a month and owns his own business that at one point was making 1 million a year. My husband makes about $120 thousand a year and before was making $70 thousand. They pay for nothing for him. We pay for all his clothes. They have 2 other younger children that all his money goes too. They don't go to any school ISP meetings or parent teacher conferences. The step mom texts me nasty texts when I talk to my ex. She never lets my ex spend alone time with my son, texts my son on a day and up until 1130 at night. My son and his father were supposed to have a father and son day but his dad lied and said he had to work and then went out golfing with the step mom and then she texts him and tells him that they are golfing. She has no boundries. She texts him all day when he is at my house but texts him things that she knows he will tell me. Can I do anything to set boundries for her through the court and should I take them back to raise child support.
I'm assuming that this is about child support and your title is wrong.

Since you say "he gives me $200 a month", I'm assuming that there's no child support order. Go back to court and get an order for child support. Note that business income is often difficult to sort out. He 'makes' a million dollars a year - are you talking about revenue or net income or owner's benefit? It's very easy to make a small business look much less profitable than it really is. If the business finances are complicated, it may take an accountant to sort it out.

Fortunately, you can go to your local child support enforcement agency and they will take care of most of this for you for a nominal charge (something like $25 a year in most cases). Ask them to get an order in place or if there's already an order in place, ask for a review.

If there's no court-ordered parenting plan, get one. If there is one, get wording added that will limit step-mom's contact and/or limit Dad's contact when child is with you.

Much of what you're complaining about is irrelevant. if Dad doesn't want to spend time alone with his child and has SM there all the time, that's perfectly legal. If Dad would rather go golfing than see his child, that's legal, too. If Dad doesn't want to participate in school activities, that's legal, too. You can not control what Dad does with his time.

However, changing a parenting plan means going back to court, spending a lot of time and money - and not getting what you want. I would strongly consider non-legal remedies first. Block stepmom's number if your child's plan allows it. Block all texts after 10 pm. (depending on the child's age). Or, depending on the child's age, you might simply take the phone from him when he's at home. Alternatively, there is a great deal to be gained by simply ignoring rude people. Your child will get tired of annoying texts from SM if it's as bad as you say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">