• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can alimony received be used to support others?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chucky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A question I never see asked is: Can the receiving spouse use alimony payments to support her adult children or grandchildren from another marriage that was prior to the marriage with the spouse providing the alimony?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

A question I never see asked is: Can the receiving spouse use alimony payments to support her adult children or grandchildren from another marriage that was prior to the marriage with the spouse providing the alimony?
Receiving spouse can use the money however he/she/it wishes. :cool:

chucky

Receiving spouse can use the money however he/she/it wishes. :cool:
Thanks for the reply.

The uncertainty arose because the definition of spousal support discusses the maintenance of the standard of living for the receiving spouse. If the receiving spouse chooses to support deadbeat children/grandchildren then the support is not really for maintenance of the standard of living.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the reply.

The uncertainty arose because the definition of spousal support discusses the maintenance of the standard of living for the receiving spouse. If the receiving spouse chooses to support deadbeat children/grandchildren then the support is not really for maintenance of the standard of living.
Sure it is.

latigo

There is a reason you have never "see" others ask such a question, chucky wucky!

Normally folks that stupid are too illiterate to use a keyboard.

Bali Hai

Thanks for the reply.

If someone doesn't support those (presumably adult) deadbeat children/grandchildren, who will? The unspoken/unwritten main reason for alimony is to take money from those who have it and the potential to get it, and redistribute it to those who won't work. The alimony payers don't like this, but it keeps the taxpayer's happy.

Proserpina

Thanks for the reply.

Try this:

(full credit to Misto though I changed it a bit)

Treat her checking account like a swimming pool. Every month, you add 500 gallons of water for support. She adds another 600 gallons from her part-time job. Maybe she has a birthday and gets another 50 gallons for gifts.

Now, she takes out 400 gallons out to pay rent. Another 200 gallons out for food. Another 200 gallons for medical care.

How in the world would you be expected to know that the gallons she took out to support actually came from you?

justalayman

Try this:

(full credit to Misto though I changed it a bit)
I color each of my water sources a different color. Then by using a spectrometer I can determine the makeup of any water (due to the amount of any given color present) I withdraw and with that, I can calculate where the water came from. easy peasy.

now what do have to say about the swimming pool analogy?

where law fails, science prevails

all hail the geeks of the world.

Bali Hai

Makes no difference to the analogy ;)
True, but now we have a legitimate overflowing swimming pool and with justalay's spectrometer (I would use a spectrophotometer) we can determine where that overflow is being collected. A legitimate argument for a judge to hear.

Proserpina

True, but now we have a legitimate overflowing swimming pool and with justalay's spectrometer (I would use a spectrophotometer) we can determine where that overflow is being collected. A legitimate argument for a judge to hear.

If you can tell me where and when, I would happily pay for tickets to see that used in court.

Hell, I'd buy everyone dinner at their favorite restaurant.

I can afford it because...

Whoops!

:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">