• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara_Jane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent for last year and now is trying to throw me out. Under CA law can I file for support or anything else from him? I am presently unemployed and in part time college.

Proserpina

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent for last year and now is trying to throw me out. Under CA law can I file for support or anything else from him? I am presently unemployed and in part time college.

Nope. Time to get a job. (Though at least he'll have to legally evict you)

OHRoadwarrior

It appears your position as bed warmer has been terminated. Seek other gainful employment.

justalayman

just to make sure he can throw you out

are you talking about a rented apartment or house or an owned house?

If rented, who is on the lease?

If owned, who owns the home?

If you are not on the lease or title of the home, yes, you can be evicted by your bf. If you are on the lease or title of the home, your bf cannot evict you.

Bali Hai

When you became unemployed did you apply for unemployment benefits?

Sara_Jane

We moved here from out of state for his job and as my career requires retraining for a California certification, I am attending college to attain the required training.

Thankfully we are both on the lease.

I do not qualify for unemployment due to never having been employed in California and under Ohio law since I quit my last position I can not collect their either.

I am looking for a job but with my course load it's been difficult, he wanted me to get through this as fast as possible and I am taking more then a full time course load. However with only four months left of college, if I can't be evicted I should be fine.

sandyclaus

We moved here from out of state for his job and as my career requires retraining for a California certification, I am attending college to attain the required training.

Thankfully we are both on the lease.

I do not qualify for unemployment due to never having been employed in California and under Ohio law since I quit my last position I can not collect their either.

I am looking for a job but with my course load it's been difficult, he wanted me to get through this as fast as possible and I am taking more then a full time course load. However with only four months left of college, if I can't be evicted I should be fine.
When you say you're on the lease, are you a co-tenant or listed only as an additional occupant?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">