• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I redirect Alimony/Support payments ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ron0340

What is the name of your state? NH

My ex pays the mortgage on the home that we still have joint ownership in, but she has exclusive use of the home with my kids. For the past year she has been routinely late in making the mortgage payments which has affected my credit each month. Is there a way to have my alimony and support payments directed to pay the mortgage ? and what can I do to stop her from affecting my credit ?

Tayla

What does your alimony agreement say specifically on the house payments?
Its doubtfull that re-directing funds to go directly to the mortgage will be allowed without her written consent and that of the courts. Using the funds from the child support would most likely be denied as this portions of funds is for the childrens' welfare. (clothing,food,education,medical..etc)
You can always pay the mortgage yourself on time ,thus deterring the late entry on the credit reports. But re-couping it from the ex-spouse maybe a problem....
Perhaps she can buy you out for the house and thus make her fully accountable for the mortgage....?

LdiJ

ron0340 said:
What is the name of your state? NH

My ex pays the mortgage on the home that we still have joint ownership in, but she has exclusive use of the home with my kids. For the past year she has been routinely late in making the mortgage payments which has affected my credit each month. Is there a way to have my alimony and support payments directed to pay the mortgage ? and what can I do to stop her from affecting my credit ?
There is at least a slight chance that a judge would allow you to pay the mortgage directly as part of your child support/alimony payments. It wouldn't hurt to try.

However, because the money (or part of the money) wouldn't be going through the CS agency...therefore making it trackable...the judge may turn you down.

ablessin

your best bet is to have her buy you out.

if she can't, you should look into putting the house up for sale ASAP.

Let her buy her own home on her own credit

ron0340

Thanks

Thanks Everyone for your reply. I have a couple of problems. She can't get the mortgage in her own name. We do have a buyout figure to take effect when the house is sold in three years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">