• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can interest be charged on back alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisagr33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My husband has paid his back alimony and now his ex is saying that he owes more and is wanting to charge interest. Can she do that?

LdiJ

My husband has paid his back alimony and now his ex is saying that he owes more and is wanting to charge interest. Can she do that?
Possibly, it depends on the circumstances and the court orders.

Bali Hai

First of all, it is not HIS alimony, it is HER alimony.

Your statement is a little contradictory because if he has paid her back alimony, how can he owe more?? And if he does indeed owe more, then he hasn't paid her back alimony, at least not all that he owes.

If there is outstanding alimony then yes, she is well within her rights to demand interest. She will bleed him to death just like a credit card company if he doesn't pay what is expected of him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She cannot charge him interest. However the COURT could add interest if they issued a judgment against him for being in contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">