• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can remarriage reduce alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tom777

I'm in South Carolina and wanted to know if there is a chance at all if remarriage could reduce alimony? I have a 9 year old son who lives with his mom.

I'm planning to get married in the next few months. She is divorced and has two children. If I get married, I will have to support her and her two children. She won't be able to work since she is moving into the US and won't be allowed to work at least for some time. We are also planning on having a child of our own.

Given that my circumstances would change, is there any chance to help with reducing or even eliminating alimony?

Thank You,
Tom

fairisfair

I'm in South Carolina and wanted to know if there is a chance at all if remarriage could reduce alimony? I have a 9 year old son who lives with his mom.

I'm planning to get married in the next few months. She is divorced and has two children. If I get married, I will have to support her and her two children. She won't be able to work since she is moving into the US and won't be allowed to work at least for some time. We are also planning on having a child of our own.

Given that my circumstances would change, is there any chance to help with reducing or even eliminating alimony?

Thank You,
Tom
yes, marriage can reduce alimony. Unfortunately for you, it is when the person who is RECEIVING the alimony gets married. Not the other way around.

oh, and more kids??? a grand idea when you apparently can't pay the bills you already have.:rolleyes:

tom777

It would be my remarriage. I've been legally separated for 13 months now and expect my final divorce to be done soon.

Is there any chance at all?

Bali Hai

It would be my remarriage. I've been legally separated for 13 months now and expect my final divorce to be done soon.

You have a much chance as trying to get a moose carcass away from a 1500 lb starving grizzly bear!!

LdiJ

No chance whatsoever. You voluntarily choosing to take on the support of a new wife and her children, will have absolutely zero effect on alimony. You planning on having a child with your new wife, when you will already be struggling to pay your bills, would be foolish.
If your divorce isn't even final yet, how is your future wife managing to get a fiancee visa this quickly?

You had best move your butt as quickly as possible to get your new wife a temporary work permit and a job.

tuffbrk

Thank You,
Tom
Why do you need to support a new wife? Why do you need to support her 2 children? Aren't you a little tired of supporting women yet?! Find someone who can support themselves. AND you want to have ANOTHER child?!! Dude - how broad is your back?

Does your son and your soon to be dependent wife/girl get along? Does your son and your 2 future dependent/step children get along? Will he need to share a room with them when you have visitation? Don't you think you all would need a little time to adjust before having yet another child? Geez...do you even eat the same food and celebrate holidays in the same fashion?

Your self worth is not related to your money. You need counseling.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If you can't afford to have a new wife and her baggage, you have NO business getting married. And to bring another child into the mix, what are you think? Wait ... don't want to know which brain he's thinking with.

tom777

Look, I'm in total love with this woman. Maybe I'm blind, maybe I'm crazy, but, I do love her with all my heart. That is something I've never really experienced with my ex in my 11 year marriage.

That is why I want to try whatever I can, to make this work. I don't want to give up. I do love her.

tom777

Ginny,

That's the thing. I'm bracing myself for the worst kind of alimony, permanent. So, not sure how long I could wait? Until she can work legally here in the US? I mean, I want to marry this woman and spend the rest of my life with her. I'm grasping for hope.... :-(

AHA

Look, I'm in total love with this woman. Maybe I'm blind, maybe I'm crazy, but, I do love her with all my heart. That is something I've never really experienced with my ex in my 11 year marriage.

That is why I want to try whatever I can, to make this work. I don't want to give up. I do love her.

How are you planning on bringing her to the US? You do know that you have to be divorced in order to qualify to sponsor her for a visa as her fiance, or marry her and apply for a spousal visa?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">