• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she get her alimony back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riskassure

My girlfriend and I are living in CA. A few months ago, she moved in with me. About a month after that, her ex sent her a legal document saying that he would not pay for alimony anymore because she's now living with me. She signed the document and he's no longer paying her alimony. As of now, she's still not able to secure a stable job, and we are on the verge of breaking up and she may end up moving out shortly after. Can she file papers to get her alimony back? If so, will the amount change, and how will it change?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My girlfriend and I are living in CA. A few months ago, she moved in with me. About a month after that, her ex sent her a legal document saying that he would not pay for alimony anymore because she's now living with me. She signed the document and he's no longer paying her alimony. As of now, she's still not able to secure a stable job, and we are on the verge of breaking up and she may end up moving out shortly after. Can she file papers to get her alimony back? If so, will the amount change, and how will it change?
On the verge of breaking up? Why do you care if she gets her alimony again? Why hasn't she found a job? How long did she live with you? How long has she been unemployed? How about you support her after your breakup? So she wants to get alimony restored AND she wants to get full custody of her three children so she can child support and you are helping her out of the goodness of your heart? Why are you breaking up? Due to finances?

CourtClerk

Cohabitation terminates spousal support. The court isn't going to make the ex pay, then not pay, then pay, then not pay based on when she gets into then out of, then back into a man.

So stay with her, she'll need your money next.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Cohabitation terminates spousal support. The court isn't going to make the ex pay, then not pay, then pay, then not pay based on when she gets into then out of, then back into a man.

hey CC, look at his other thread dealing with mom getting custody of the children (hence she would then get child support). Anyway to make the ex pay apparently.

mistoffolees

Is that automatic or does the payor have to go back to court with proof of cohabitation?

Of course, it doesn't matter since GF voluntarily signed an agreement admitting cohabitation. Then again, that agreement probably isn't binding unless it was submitted to the judge, anyway.

Since none of this is OP's business, I'm not going to do any research, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">