• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't Pay Alimony Anymore...What Now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnarkyB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee/Georgia

My income has been drastically reduced because I lost my $100K a year job in Georgia and moved to a farm in Tennessee where I am trying to make a living.

My divorce is in Georgia and the ex-wife was granted $1,100 a month for 84 months. I've paid religiously for 34 months but just can't do it anymore...there's no money. I'm still paying my child support, barely.

What is my recourse? What can be done to me? What do I do?

Proserpina

Careful here. Georgia allows for alimony to be made non-modifiable. It also allows for it to be made modifiable only if certain conditions are met. And it allows for modification whenever there's a CoC.

OP needs to read the document very carefully first to see what it says.

Bali Hai

Careful here. Georgia allows for alimony to be made non-modifiable. It also allows for it to be made modifiable only if certain conditions are met. And it allows for modification whenever there's a CoC.

In that case, I would think that Georgia would get OP's job back for him. Georgia should not make promises it can't keep.

SnarkyB

Were you fired/laid off? Or did you decide to leave to live on a farm?
I quit work to become a farmer and we've been eating through my wife's inheritance to pay the ex-wife to sit on her butt.

I probably should have waited to get fired since I was obviously training my replacement. And the reason I quit, although I doubt it matters, is because I was managing a team of people who were all working remotely and when I asked to also work remotely, I was denied that option.

SnarkyB

Our decree states that it can all be modified.

What is a CoC and OP?

LdiJ

I quit work to become a farmer and we've been eating through my wife's inheritance to pay the ex-wife to sit on her butt.

I probably should have waited to get fired since I was obviously training my replacement. And the reason I quit, although I doubt it matters, is because I was managing a team of people who were all working remotely and when I asked to also work remotely, I was denied that option.
You should have waited to get fired. A voluntary loss of income is not going to endear you to the judge.

Ladyback1

You quit!?!?

Knowing what financial responsibilities you had, and you quit??

Sorry, no sympathy and I'm betting the judge has none either.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Well, THAT wasn't too bright. Don't expect to get alimony modified. You are voluntarily underemployed. Best find a way to earn some more money.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Our decree states that it can all be modified.

What is a CoC and OP?
I bet it can't be modified due to your quitting.

CoC = Change of Circumstance - you don't have one.

OP = Original post/er (you)

And before you ask - Child Support will not be modified due to your voluntary un/deremployment, either.

I would love to quit my job and go live off the grid. But I have obligations which don't allow thst option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">