• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing alimony - ex is cooperative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wingman57

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida (concerns a South Carolina divorce)

My former wife and I agreed that our financial agreement would be private and not in the divorce documents. Her lawyer would not follow instructions, put it in and would not follow instruction to take it out. It ended up in. We would both like to have the mention of alimony removed from the court documents. How do we do this? She is willing to sign whatever is necessary to make this happen. Do I need to use a South Carolina lawyer or can I use one here in Florida? How much time does this take? What does it cost? Thank you for any information.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can't. Unless it is in there it is NOT a court order so her attorney did a good thing for her. AS for removing it from public record -- divorces ARE public record.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida (concerns a South Carolina divorce)

My former wife and I agreed that our financial agreement would be private and not in the divorce documents. Her lawyer would not follow instructions, put it in and would not follow instruction to take it out. It ended up in. We would both like to have the mention of alimony removed from the court documents. How do we do this? She is willing to sign whatever is necessary to make this happen. Do I need to use a South Carolina lawyer or can I use one here in Florida? How much time does this take? What does it cost? Thank you for any information.
You can't simply get it removed. You have to file a separate motion (perhaps a joint motion) asking the judge to vacate the alimony award. It would most likely have to be done in SC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">