• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing child's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pamela Mabray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My daughter has not seen or heard from her father in two years. Prior to that she had only seen him three times since he left when she was four months old. He was given visitation rights but has not used them nor has he paid any child support. His whereabouts are unknown.

My question is this: Can I change her name to my maiden name without his consent? If so, what do I need to do?

Just Blue

My daughter has not seen or heard from her father in two years. Prior to that she had only seen him three times since he left when she was four months old. He was given visitation rights but has not used them nor has he paid any child support. His whereabouts are unknown.

My question is this: Can I change her name to my maiden name without his consent? If so, what do I need to do?
You will need to follow state law for the name change. Please google the statutes.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Short answer: No. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">