• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Disbursement Misplaced/Lost My Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GaleC

I'm not sure where I should go with this.

This is not an ex not paying support issue.
This is an ex paying the full monthly amount due but the state/child disbursement misplaced my money.
I'm the custodial parent and also the recipient of alimony.

My ex's employer sent the full amount of $2,323.00 of my alimony and child support to Child disbursement here in California. The county involved is L.A.
The check was cashed and only $1323.00 dollars were deposited into my bank account. $1,000.00 is missing.
I have contacted the state child support agency and they told me they only collected the $1,323.00. I have the original check # from my ex's work and what they deposited into their state fund was indeed $2323.00.

I have gone over this with the reps, the facts are there and easy for them to see but they still insist the check was for $1323.00.

Disbursement will no longer help me although my ex's work confirms this amount through their canceled check.

Where do I go with this?
Who can help me get my money back?

I have never let my daughter go hungry before but today, she went to school with no breakfast and no dinner last night or tonight.

I'm am in a complete panic.
I filed Bankruptcy last month and thought this would be my first month in years were I can sit back and breath a little financial wise and now this.

We will lose phone service in a few days and other utilities as well. These payments were supposed to be made up this month.
Now I have nothing and my rent check will be cashed any day now.

Again, where do I go with this?
How do I fight something so easy to fight with no money and against a state agency?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gale

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can NOT rely on child support as your only source of income. Perhaps, if your child cannot eat with you, (s)he might be better off with the other parent...

GaleC

I'm on state disability for Multiple sclerosis.

That check is less then what minimum wage would be.

Next time please discuss the facts on what I should do and not my relying on child and "alimony" for support.

My disability existed during our 24 years of marriage.

Please reply with a valid idea

If you are bitter zignar, you surely don't belong on this forum where people need real ideas and help
Please find somewhere else to take out that anger
I'm not your ex.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm on state disability for Multiple sclerosis.

That check is less then what minimum wage would be.

Next time please discuss the facts on what I should do and not my relying on child and "alimony" for support.

My disability existed during our 24 years of marriage.

Please reply with a valid idea

If you are bitter zignar, you surely don't belong on this forum where people need real ideas and help
Please find somewhere else to take out that anger
I'm not your ex.

You were answered with facts. YOU CANNOT RELY ON CHILD SUPPORT AND ALIMONY to be your budget. End of story.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Your x's employer will NOT be able to give you anything. What you can do is explain the circumstance to the employer, giving them the amount the cheque was issued for, and see what the bank cleared the cheque for. I have found, while doing bank reconcilations that cheques don't always clear for what they are written for. If the cheque cleared for a thousand less, they should be able to send the additional thousand.

Now, on the chance that it did clear for the correct amount, have them send to your caseworker PROOF of what it cleared for.

Most employers will work with recipients of child support/ support.

Check your attitude at the door and be the kindest personable person when calling that employer. Honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">