• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child and Mother Obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I had one child with my girlfriend at the time, and she moved in with me at my house, but we never got married. After a few years of living together, we broke up and I moved out to live in another house that I own. I also own some other rental property and a business. We have not setup any legal child support, or ever filed my taxes as common laws. We have been living apart now for 2 years, and I am supporting her and my child this entire time while she goes to school. Unfortunately, little to no progress has been made with her schooling and I feel that she is content with just living off of me as long as she can and not become independent. I am willing to support my child 100%, so that part is not an issue. My concerns are:

(1) I will support my child, but do I have any legal obligation to continue support her?

(2) Is there any risk she could claim she is entitled to a portion of my property, or business income?

Thank you.

I'mTheFather

A common-law marriage cannot be created in Oregon. If she only lived with you, and you did not marry or register a domestic partnership, then you have no obligation to support her, nor does she have any claim to your property or business.

You should get an order for child support and visitation through the court.

Bali Hai

A common-law marriage cannot be created in Oregon. If she only lived with you, and you did not marry or register a domestic partnership, then you have no obligation to support her, nor does she have any claim to your property or business.

You should get an order for child support and visitation through the court.
By golly, every man should read this! However, shouldn't SHE get an order for child support?

mmmagique

A child support order protects the custodial parent, the non-custodial parent, and the child(ren), so anyone with an interest would be well served to get the child support order in place.

Bali Hai

A child support order protects the custodial parent, the non-custodial parent, and the child(ren), so anyone with an interest would be well served to get the child support order in place.
I reared three children without a child support order. If everyone did the right thing, they wouldn't need court orders to screw up their life.

torimac

I reared three children without a child support order. If everyone did the right thing, they wouldn't need court orders to screw up their life.
And for some of us who are owed tens of thousands of dollars in child support, that court order is the only thing that may force the NCP to pay child support. In that case, a court order does not screw up their life. A court order would protect him as he would understand exactly what is required with regards to child support and what is allowed with visitation orders. Not everyone is capable of raising children without such orders and whether they are custodial or non-custodial parents does not exclude them from being difficult when co-parenting. It is my opinion that you cannot count on humans to do the 'right thing'.

Ladyback1

Well, that is the understatement of the year!:eek:

Unfortunately, not everyone is wired to do the "right thing" when it comes to the dissolving of a relationship.

Documents outlining the responsibilities and rights of both of the adult parties, offers at least some "protection" to both of the parties. Too bad that some adults cannot overcome their personal issues to take care of what's really important--any kids created by the relationship.

You're a good man Bali--cranky, jaded, and cynical, but still good!;)

Bali Hai

Originally Posted by mmmagique

How did this person appear on the post I wrote?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I had one child with my girlfriend at the time, and she moved in with me at my house, but we never got married. After a few years of living together, we broke up and I moved out to live in another house that I own. I also own some other rental property and a business. We have not setup any legal child support, or ever filed my taxes as common laws. We have been living apart now for 2 years, and I am supporting her and my child this entire time while she goes to school. Unfortunately, little to no progress has been made with her schooling and I feel that she is content with just living off of me as long as she can and not become independent. I am willing to support my child 100%, so that part is not an issue. My concerns are:

(1) I will support my child, but do I have any legal obligation to continue support her?

(2) Is there any risk she could claim she is entitled to a portion of my property, or business income?

Thank you.
There's no requirement for you to support your child 100%. Mom has responsibility, also.

http://www.oregonchildsupport.gov/laws/pages/index.aspx

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Not sure I get it. I wrote the post not her. My name should appear as "Orginally Posted by": How did she become me?
The 'quote' function can easily be messed up when folks try to edit posts. Or sometimes the forum software throws an undocumented feature (aka 'bug') into the works. I don't think it's any reason to be paranoid. :cool:

LdiJ

Not sure I get it. I wrote the post not her. My name should appear as "Orginally Posted by": How did she become me?
If someone doesn't use the "quote" button and tries to quote without using it properly, that can happen.

mmmagique

Originally Posted by mmmagique

How did this person appear on the post I wrote?
I am everywhere...like your best and your worst memories...:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">