• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CalvinDavis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My husband is faced with going to jail over child support. He was laid off and his support payment is 12 months past due. He was arrested, but let out on his own recognizances. He has a court date in August. What can he do if he does not have the money needed to pay the courts for the support on the date he is scheduled. How can he get a continuance? How can he get on a payment aggangement plan from the prosecutor?

Proserpina

My husband is faced with going to jail over child support. He was laid off and his support payment is 12 months past due. He was arrested, but let out on his own recognizances. He has a court date in August. What can he do if he does not have the money needed to pay the courts for the support on the date he is scheduled. How can he get a continuance? How can he get on a payment aggangement plan from the prosecutor?

So...when he was laid off 12 months ago, what did he do to modify the child support order?

Did his child need to eat less during the past 12 months?

Why hasn't he tried to sort something out before now?

Bali Hai

An option might be to sell his blood to provide child support.

mistoffolees

So...when he was laid off 12 months ago, what did he do to modify the child support order?

I agree with all of that. I would also add:

"What is his plan for paying his debt and supporting his child in the future?"

If he goes into court with a plan and can show that he's going to pay the support, he's less likely to end up in jail than if he just shows up and says "I don't have any money".

The plan is likely to involve getting a job. While I understand being laid off, 12 months is a long time to not have a job. Granted, it may not be a great job, but he could be doing something.

There's also the issue of OP. While she is not obligated to pay her husband's child support from a previous marriage, it might be a nice thing to do to keep him out of jail. Or, at least, hire him an attorney.

Bali Hai

My guess is nothing, he probably was under the false impression that the court would be understanding of his circumstances.

Depends on the size to weight ratio of the child.

Maybe he has tried to sort something out and OP didn't include what it was in her post.

Bali Hai

This is child support Bali, not alimony.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm just trying to provide some theoretical suppositions about perhaps how this OP's husband came to the current circumstances that he finds himself in.

There are people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own these days. The government is not forcing big corporations to hire. There are MILLIONS of people who want to work out of a job.

If judges don't know this, perhaps they should READ the news!

OP's husband may not be court savvy and didn't know he should return to ask for a reduction.

OP's husband may have been looking for a job and simply CANNOT get one.

These are REAL situations that people face today because certain people were allowed to destroy the US economy.

Are you suggesting child support enforcement should be more rigorous than alimony??

ALGURLX1

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm just trying to provide some theoretical suppositions about perhaps how this OP's husband came to the current circumstances that he finds himself in.

There are people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own these days. The government is not forcing big corporations to hire. There are MILLIONS of people who want to work out of a job.

OP's husband may not be court savvy and didn't know he should return to ask for a reduction.

These are REAL situations that people face today because certain people were allowed to destroy the US economy.
Are you suggesting child support enforcement should be more rigorous than alimony??
And that is the child's problem how? Ignorance is not an excuse :rolleyes:

Yes and these are REAL children who need to eat REAL food, guess that doesn't matter to Op or her husband they jsut wnat to make sure he doesn't go to jail :rolleyes:

LdiJ

That is absolutely what I am suggesting. Children are innocents without alternative resources. If dad got laid off, he should have been receiving unemployment and his unemployment should have been garnished for at least a portion of his child support. The state also doesn't normally go after someone this hard if they are collecting unemployment and part of the CS is being paid.

Bali Hai

And that is the child's problem how? Ignorance is not an excuse :rolleyes:

I was provideng REASONS, not excuses.

Yes and these are REAL children who need to eat REAL food, guess that doesn't matter to Op or her husband they jsut wnat to make sure he doesn't go to jail :rolleyes:
EVERYONE needs to eat REAL food, guess that doesn't matter to the rich a$$holes in this courty who destroyed the economy, got bailed out with our money and now are hoarding it all.

If the man is doing his best but cannot get a job, just what the hell do you expect? If there was no divorce, and no child support ordered and the man was in the same situation, he WOULD NOT be facing jail time.

Bali Hai

That is absolutely what I am suggesting. Children are innocents without alternative resources. If dad got laid off, he should have been receiving unemployment and his unemployment should have been garnished for at least a portion of his child support. The state also doesn't normally go after someone this hard if they are collecting unemployment and part of the CS is being paid.
And how do you know that WASN'T the case?

Antigone*

I have the perfect solution.

You see, it is wifey who is here worried about her hubby going to jail. Since wifey is so worried, then wifey can pony up.:D

Now, that was easy. Just call me Staples!!!:D

Proserpina

And how do you know that WASN'T the case?

...because if that was the case, it would be unlikely that Dad would be now facing jail time.

Again - there's a huge difference between how child support and spousal support orders are enforced.

Massive. Honestly Bali, you're off-base.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">