• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cobra insuarnce alimony default

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sambec

What is the name of your state?
florida

wife was awarded cobra ins for 18 mos in lieu of alimony. husband has left the state. can he be garnisheed for payment. cobra was for 18 mos only. contempt of court involves what?

Last edited:

nextwife

What is the name of your state?
florida

wife was awarded cobra ins for 18 mos in lieu of alimony. husband has left the state. can he be garnisheed for payment. cobra was for 18 mos only. contempt of court involves what?
I don't know. Does he have garnishable income?

Regardless, it is a really bad idea to depend on an ex for health insurance or income. You should really try to get your own job w your own health insurance. He could be hit by a truck tomorrow and unable to provide Cobra. I've paid Cobra, for a VERY short term, and the cost is RIDICULOUS. Paying it was great incentive to secure a benefits providing job.

LdiJ

I don't know. Does he have garnishable income?

Regardless, it is a really bad idea to depend on an ex for health insurance or income. You should really try to get your own job w your own health insurance. He could be hit by a truck tomorrow and unable to provide Cobra. I've paid Cobra, for a VERY short term, and the cost is RIDICULOUS. Paying it was great incentive to secure a benefits providing job.
Also, private medical insurance is often much less costly than a Cobra. Of course, neither my suggestion nor Nextwife's suggestion is viable if the reason you need the Cobra is due to a pre-existing condition.

You can also do a high deductible policy combined with an HSA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">