• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cohabitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melissamd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Here is the scenario:
Ex-wife receives alimony (not employed) Stated in the decree "if cohabitating with unrelated male for 6 + months then ceases"

We have a year of documented events; vacations, boyfriend "babysitting" children, eating and cooking there every day, doing yard work (lawn and dump runs) pictures at all different times of the day with his car in drive way.

Here's the clincher, he has an apartment. We know he is at her place more.

What are our rights or chances to stop paying alimony so she can have a nice life with her boyfirend on our dime?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm willing to be this is not YOUR ex wife, is it? :rolleyes:

I'm starting to like the "no third party" guideline more and more. ;)

proud_parent

I'm starting to like the "no third party" guideline more and more. ;)
Aw, c'mon Zig...you wet blanket, you.

OP: yep, you have every right to stop paying alimony to your lover's ex-wife. You are not a party to the order.

If the obligor is hoping to be relieved of his obligation, then he'll need convincing proof of the cohabition and its length. Such as the boyfriend's name on the ex's apartment lease, or USPS record of a change of his mailing address. Then he would need to petition the court to terminate the spousal support order.

Oh, and if his current obligation bothers you that much, get yourself another job and start saving your own dimes just for you. :rolleyes:

Silverplum

It's the bolded line below that worries me most...

Here is the scenario:
Ex-wife receives alimony (not employed) Stated in the decree "if cohabitating with unrelated male for 6 + months then ceases"

We have a year of documented events; vacations, boyfriend "babysitting" children, eating and cooking there every day, doing yard work (lawn and dump runs) pictures at all different times of the day with his car in drive way.

What are our rights or chances to stop paying alimony so she can have a nice life with her boyfirend on our dime?
:eek: He's "babysitting"???????????? :eek: "children"???????? :eek:

Call 911!!!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LdiJ

Here is the scenario:

He has his own place, they are not cohabitating. The whole point of cohabitating is that the person they are living with is helping them pay the bills and supporting them. Since he has his own place, that's obviously not the case here. I doubt that he can support two households.

Spending alot of time there is NOT the same as living there.

slickyboy

Cobaitation

:cool: The problem is that you are spending too much time playing private eye, when you should be working to pay the bills and not researching cohabitation. I bet you live a lifestyle of the rich-expensive toys, vacations, big diamonds that enjoy's a party and you have the nerve to complain.

Alimony is established by a court for a reason...Ever stop to think about that???---What did you do cheat your spouse, away from his ex wife and up-end her lifestyle? Your pretty easy to figure out; just by your posting. SNOB.

You don't have a legal case; however, you have a case of "I don't feel sorry for you" going on. The only good chance you have is that the alimony has to stop sometime....so live with it.

I agree- get a job and pay the support that you should be paying for destroying this womens life...:D

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
:cool: The problem is that you are spending too much time playing private eye, when you should be working to pay the bills and not researching cohabitation. I bet you live a lifestyle of the rich-expensive toys, vacations, big diamonds that enjoy's a party and you have the nerve to complain.

Alimony is established by a court for a reason...Ever stop to think about that???---What did you do cheat your spouse, away from his ex wife and up-end her lifestyle? Your pretty easy to figure out; just by your posting. SNOB.

You don't have a legal case; however, you have a case of "I don't feel sorry for you" going on. The only good chance you have is that the alimony has to stop sometime....so live with it.

I agree- get a job and pay the support that you should be paying for destroying this womens life...:D
You are posting to a thread that is two months old and the OP is probably not even still around. Oh and you are assuming quite a bit.

livinlarge

People are crazy

Mellisa.. John... Do you honestly think everyone hasn't figured this out..John how many times have you cheated on your family. Threatening your x Always holding something over her head. Not her fault you didn't check with your insurence company before you remarried..And like your commitment to the marridge, your commitment to the divorce aggrement is a joke. You are so god at being a PI because you didn't like it when amike was taken photos of you and your Sneaky successes...Are you still enjoying the lavishes that he has to pay for? She finally thought she had foung someone to be with, but the additional stresses you constantly put forth have damaged that as well..Who"s fault he had to baby sit while she had class. you wouldn't help. Complain that he saw the kids more than you. Again, If you only are reactive as a manager, only doing the minimum,,as you do as a father.. Be proactive You will find being a manager as well as being a father would change your perspectives.. Mellisa..what could I possibly say,,How many men will lose their familys before you are satisfied.. Next big paycheck is just around the corner..Leopards can't change their spots..If he did it once he will do it again..And the more stress he is ubder with you he will seek comfort else where..

Last edited:

AHA

pictures at all different times of the day with his car in drive way.
To be honest, if I had some crazy female stalker (that is doing my ex) circling my house, taking photos of my home at "all different times of the day", I would prefer to have a man around too, to hopefully prevent the crazy stalker (who has waaaaaay too much free time on her hands BTW!) from actually kicking my door in and grabbing cash from my wallet.

proud_parent

Mellisa.. John... Do you honestly think everyone hasn't figured this out..John how many times have you cheated on your family. Threatening your x Always holding something over her head. Not her fault you didn't check with your insurence company before you remarried..And like your commitment to the marridge, your commitment to the divorce aggrement is a joke. You are so god at being a PI because you didn't like it when amike was taken photos of you and your Sneaky successes...Are you still enjoying the lavishes that he has to pay for? She finally thought she had foung someone to be with, but the additional stresses you constantly put forth have damaged that as well..Who"s fault he had to baby sit while she had class. you wouldn't help. Complain that he saw the kids more than you. Again, If you only are reactive as a manager, only doing the minimum,,as you do as a father.. Be proactive You will find being a manager as well as being a father would change your perspectives.. Mellisa..what could I possibly say,,How many men will lose their familys before you are satisfied.. Next big paycheck is just around the corner..Leopards can't change their spots..If he did it once he will do it again..And the more stress he is ubder with you he will seek comfort else where..

What the....? :confused:

Evidence that the stalkers are being cyberstalked? Now that's rich.

Bali Hai

To be honest, if I had some crazy female stalker (that is doing my ex) circling my house, taking photos of my home at "all different times of the day", I would prefer to have a man around too, to hopefully prevent the crazy stalker (who has waaaaaay too much free time on her hands BTW!) from actually kicking my door in and grabbing cash from my wallet.
Well if that happened, you would know how it feels to have money stolen from you!!

cashcow

I've never witnessed so many bitter posts in place. Why would someone assume that this woman stole someone's husband? Just b/c a person pays alimony doesn't mean that marital misconduct was an issue. Alimony occurs when there is a dependent and supporting spouse. Period. It is not ordered, through consent or judgment as punishment for marital misconduct.

And to suggest that the new wife get a second job to offset the burden of alimony is insane. Maybe the OLD wife should get a second job to offset the burden of not following the seperation agreement or divorce order by choosing to cohabitate.

WTF!

Bali Hai

I've never witnessed so many bitter posts in place. Why would someone assume that this woman stole someone's husband? Just b/c a person pays alimony doesn't mean that marital misconduct was an issue. Alimony occurs when there is a dependent and supporting spouse. Period. It is not ordered, through consent or judgment as punishment for marital misconduct.

And to suggest that the new wife get a second job to offset the burden of alimony is insane. Maybe the OLD wife should get a second job to offset the burden of not following the seperation agreement or divorce order by choosing to cohabitate.

WTF!
You go girl!!!

cashcow

Here is the scenario:

In many states (mine included), it doesn't matter if the dependant spouse's new live-in has an alternative address or not. If he is at her house a certain percentage of time, then it is considered cohabitation.

Consult an attorney and PI immediately, if you haven't already done so. Any photos you have obtained won't be admissable in court if you took them. They need to be aquired by a licensed PI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">