• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Money Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

conan76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My wife's ex-husband hadn't paid child support for over 2 years and was over $10,000 in arrearage. We took him to court, and he was ordered to pay the 10K or go to jail. He didn't have it, so the judge put him in jail until he came up with the money. He came up with it 3 weeks later. We just found out that he stole money from their son's college fund, College Illinois. Part of the divorce settlement called for each parent to purchase 4 semesters of tuition from the proceeds from selling the house. He was the administrator for half and she for the other half. When they purchased the tuition in 2001, it cost $8000 each. Now, 4 semesters costs $23,000. He cashed in his half of Zach's college to pay child support that he hadn't been paying in the first place. We spent $5K on legal fees to get the 10K he owed my wife. The judge ruled that he had to reimburse us, but we haven't received a cent in 2 years. Now we have to hire another lawyer to get the money he stole from Zach. Is there any way to do this without incurring more huge legal fees? We don't think we should have to pay thousands to make him give back what he stole from our son. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Jim Rodgers

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My wife's ex-husband hadn't paid child support for over 2 years and was over $10,000 in arrearage. We took him to court, and he was ordered to pay the 10K or go to jail. He didn't have it, so the judge put him in jail until he came up with the money. He came up with it 3 weeks later. We just found out that he stole money from their son's college fund, College Illinois. Part of the divorce settlement called for each parent to purchase 4 semesters of tuition from the proceeds from selling the house. He was the administrator for half and she for the other half. When they purchased the tuition in 2001, it cost $8000 each. Now, 4 semesters costs $23,000. He cashed in his half of Zach's college to pay child support that he hadn't been paying in the first place. We spent $5K on legal fees to get the 10K he owed my wife. The judge ruled that he had to reimburse us, but we haven't received a cent in 2 years. Now we have to hire another lawyer to get the money he stole from Zach. Is there any way to do this without incurring more huge legal fees? We don't think we should have to pay thousands to make him give back what he stole from our son. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Jim Rodgers
"We" are not parties tot his agreement.

And "our" son belongs to his Dad and his Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">