• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common law and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tombstone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hello all,

So I am seeking advice. I have recently told my wife (common law) that I want a divorce. I have 2 young children, the youngest of which is only around 5 months. I have been with her for about 13 years and we have been claiming married on taxes and things for about 7 years. I am curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and what I can expect to pay her for spousal support and maintenance? She doesn't have a degree, she hasn't worked in about 7 years since our oldest was born. Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hello all,

So I am seeking advice. I have recently told my wife (common law) that I want a divorce. I have 2 young children, the youngest of which is only around 5 months. I have been with her for about 13 years and we have been claiming married on taxes and things for about 7 years. I am curious if anyone has been in a similar situation and what I can expect to pay her for spousal support and maintenance? She doesn't have a degree, she hasn't worked in about 7 years since our oldest was born. Thanks.
How much do you earn? Who will have primary custody of the children? Start with those questions. Your marriage -- common law -- is treated the same as a marriage with a license. What you pay will depend on factors you haven't shared with us. Most likely you will pay for a length of time from a few months to a period equivalent to half the marriage.

tombstone

So the "earning" part is a little complicated... possibly... So my base is over 100k a year and I also am eligible for bonuses 2 times a year which from what I understand could be 15%+ of my annual salary. So if that is the case I could get 7.5%+ in say August and another 7.5%+ in February or thereabouts. She is also saying that she is going to move back to her hometown which is in another state about 3 hours away from where we are now because it is "best for the kids". I told her there was no way she could do that unless she could prove that I was an unfit father. I do work a lot but I have already spoken to my work and they are willing to work with me depending on what the custody schedule might be and I also have the ability to work from home.

Silverplum

So the "earning" part is a little complicated... possibly... So my base is over 100k a year and I also am eligible for bonuses 2 times a year which from what I understand could be 15%+ of my annual salary. So if that is the case I could get 7.5%+ in say August and another 7.5%+ in February or thereabouts. She is also saying that she is going to move back to her hometown which is in another state about 3 hours away from where we are now because it is "best for the kids". I told her there was no way she could do that unless she could prove that I was an unfit father. I do work a lot but I have already spoken to my work and they are willing to work with me depending on what the custody schedule might be and I also have the ability to work from home.
Regarding the bolded: make darn sure she doesn't move, and if she does, file immediately for the return of the child/ren. Are you the legal father?

Also, you do not have your facts correct about the circumstances under which she may be allowed to move away.

I'd advise you to hire an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Regarding the bolded: make darn sure she doesn't move, and if she does, file immediately for the return of the child/ren. Are you the legal father?

Also, you do not have your facts correct about the circumstances under which she may be allowed to move away.

I'd advise you to hire an attorney.
Definitely, if he is earning over 100k a year he needs an attorney. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

tombstone

Yes, I am the legal father to both kids.

So you are saying she could take them out of the state even if I contest it the judge might award her that?

tombstone

Basically what she is wanting is 50% of everything and to move away and take the kids and I can see them on the weekends during the school year.

ecmst12

It's possible, yes. It depends on the specific facts of your situation. You really need a lawyer ASAP.

tombstone

Are there any circumstances that you could point out that would allow her to do that and take the kids away from their father?

Silverplum

Basically what she is wanting is 50% of everything and to move away and take the kids and I can see them on the weekends during the school year.
Yes, well, people want stuff.

It's your job to prevent that from happening to you. Hire an attorney.

Silverplum

Are there any circumstances that you could point out that would allow her to do that and take the kids away from their father?
Moving first and asking permission later.
Moving and having a reason the judge finds reasonable.
Asking permission and having a reason the judge finds reasonable.

Hire. An. Attorney.

tombstone

Ok, and as far as hiring an attorney if we both get one chances are I will pay for my and her attorneys is that right?

tombstone

Ah ok, gotcha. I was just figuring I would be picking up the tab for everything given that I am the only one working and have always been the highest earner in the relationship. And she hasn't worked since just before our 7.5 year old was born.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">