• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

comtempt order date change? PLZHLP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarcB84

I received a summons in my mailbox from MA court saying I violated a court agreement. Contempt order and must apair on the 16th of this month. I leave for the USVI on the 10th -17th! Can I change the date or can my lawyer appear on my behalf? My ex wife was not working at the time of the divorce so the judge ordered her on my insurance as part of the agreement she was to pay me the difference each month but never gave me a dime! I kept her on for a year then dropped her when I changed jobs. We have no kids no money no house and she took the rest. I am just getting back on my feet an booked this trip for myself first vaca in years ... any advise? Also she has been working, engaged and living out of state but claims none of this.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I received a summons in my mailbox from MA court saying I violated a court agreement. Contempt order and must apair on the 16th of this month. I leave for the USVI on the 10th -17th! Can I change the date or can my lawyer appear on my behalf? My ex wife was not working at the time of the divorce so the judge ordered her on my insurance as part of the agreement she was to pay me the difference each month but never gave me a dime! I kept her on for a year then dropped her when I changed jobs. We have no kids no money no house and she took the rest. I am just getting back on my feet an booked this trip for myself first vaca in years ... any advise? Also she has been working, engaged and living out of state but claims none of this.
Your attorney can request a continuance. Whether you'll get it or not, we cannot predict.

Speak to your attorney first thing Monday morning.

LdiJ

Since you were divorced when you took the new job, I am pretty certain that your ex wife was not eligible to be enrolled on your insurance. However you should have notified her of that so that she could seek alternate coverage. Double check with HR as well on Monday to verify that.

MarcB84

Thank you, I met with HR before leaving and they sent her a package for Cobra and a notice of termination. I have documented coverage for over a year with BCBS saying she was covered. The court order has no end date to when I can drop her but I was under the impression that it was until she had gainful employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">