• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Ordered Spousal Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmill1152

What is the name of your state? California
I have a court order for spousal support which reads: "to be paid the first of every month". I have received my support 1 month late, for the past 4 months. My question - is this in contempt of the court order? What are my ramifications to have this remedied. Do I need to go back to court to force payments on time?

Perky

What is the name of your state? California
I have a court order for spousal support which reads: "to be paid the first of every month". I have received my support 1 month late, for the past 4 months. My question - is this in contempt of the court order? What are my ramifications to have this remedied. Do I need to go back to court to force payments on time?
Are you saying that your ex missed a payment? How old is your order for support? Is your ex paying on the last day of the month rather than on the first day?

dmill1152

Are you saying that your ex missed a payment? How old is your order for support? Is your ex paying on the last day of the month rather than on the first day?
My ex is to pay me on the first of every month. I have been receiving my support one month behind, example: payment for February 1st is received by me on March 3rd. My support order is from 2005. This has been going on for some time now. What are my options to force payment on the first of every month as my divorce order for support states.

Gracie3787

My ex is to pay me on the first of every month. I have been receiving my support one month behind, example: payment for February 1st is received by me on March 3rd. My support order is from 2005. This has been going on for some time now. What are my options to force payment on the first of every month as my divorce order for support states.
First, you need to sit down and go back to the very beginning of the court order and figure out if ex is one month behind or not. If ex is behind, you can file for contempt- HOWEVER, since you are recieving regular payments, contempt is not the best way to go for now.

I understand that it was court ordered to be paid on the first of a month, but the end of one month and first of the next month is not far apart. Maybe there is a good reason for ex to be paying at the end of the month rather than the beginning. All, in all, you are probably making a mountain out of a molehill over this. Since ex wants to pay this way, simply set up your budget to allow for that. You are fortunate to be recieving regular payments, so you don't want to do anything that can mess that up for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">