• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delinquent Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SandL

Hello,
Our Divorce was finalized 2005 in Marietta Ga.
My Ex Husband was ordered to pay alimoney for 9yrs ( untill 2013). Due to the failing of the local housing market which affected his income. He stopped making alimony payments 6months ago. No notice, just stopped payments. As part of the agreement my ex is also responsible for the tax due on the alimoney. But he has bailed on this as well.
Also,
as a result of this my home went into foreclousure as my earned income could not cover the house note. The IRS also garnished my wages.
I've hit the fed up point and
I need some advice as how to proceed handeling this.
I haven't spoken to my origional Divorce Att since the divorce was final. I have also moved out of state to start over.
Please help!
Thank you, Sandl

seniorjudge

Hello,
My Ex Husband was ordered to pay alimoney for 9yrs ( untill 2013). Due to the failing of the local housing market which affected his income. He stopped making alimony payments 6months ago. No notice, just stopped payments. As part of the agreement my ex is also responsible for the tax due on the alimoney. But he has bailed on this as well.
Also,
as a result of this my home went into foreclousure as my earned income could not cover the house note. The IRS also garnished my wages.
I haven't spoken to my origional Divorce Att since the divorce was final. I have also moved out of state to start over.
Please help!
Thank you, Sandl
Thank you for posting.

Did you have a question?

nextwife

Hello,
Also,
Please help!
Thank you, Sandl
He's in housing?

My family has been in RE since 1954. R.E. ALWAYS cycles down every few years. My Dad used to make it VERY clear that anyone whose living depends upon the R.E. market should PRESUME that "down years" are part of the income stream and plan their budgets on only a portion of their income of a good year. If one wants the financial benefit of the good RE years, one also needs to accept the reality of the down cycles as a normal part of the industry. The down cycles always happen - it's a package and a counter balance with the good years.

What I don't understand is why anyone would ignore that reality in establishing their financial plans. R.E. ALWAYS has had down cycles. ALWAYS. I made a living in RE - and PRESUMED in my budgeting that I should not rely on more than 50% of my net - because there are ALWAYS swings and very bad years in this industry. The bad years are part of the package of making a living in the housing industry.

IMHO: Neither CS or alimony should ever be based upon a few consecutive good years. This ignores the historic economic reality of the industry and leads to unrealistic expectations of future income always being the same.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

He's in housing?

My family has been in RE since 1954. R.E. ALWAYS cycles down every few years. My Dad used to make it VERY clear that anyone whose living depends upon the R.E. market should PRESUME that "down years" are part of the income stream and plan their budgets on only a portion of their income of a good year. If one wants the financial benefit of the good RE years, one also needs to accept the reality of the down cycles as a normal part of the industry. The down cycles always happen - it's a package and a counter balance with the good years.

What I don't understand is why anyone would ignore that reality in establishing their financial plans. R.E. ALWAYS has had down cycles. ALWAYS. I made a living in RE - and PRESUMED in my budgeting that I should not rely on more than 50% of my net - because there are ALWAYS swings and very bad years in this industry. The bad years are part of the package of making a living in the housing industry.

IMHO: Neither CS or alimony should ever be based upon a few consecutive good years. This ignores the historic economic reality of the industry and leads to unrealistic expectations of future income always being the same.
nextwife, you are speaking in terms of reality. The person receiving alimony nor the courts really don't care to hear this!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">