• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dim future?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

watermaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Married 19 yrs, now divorced, no court order but a stipulation duly recorded.
Agreed to $1150 CS and $850 SS = $1900.00. No idea (never heard of) marriage of long duration...apparently will pay through the nose for eternity.

Ex did not work outside of home during marriage, does not will not work now - lacks skills, lacks motivation.

I have a steady and dependable government job.

Minor child living w/ ex will be 18+ and out of school in 2011.

New woman in my life and we are going to marry probably before 2011. Future wife rather well off financially with both investments and income producing property.

If I seek reduction in payments to ex due to ending of child support ,will joined incomes (mine and new wife) become part of any potential increase in support if an increase in support is demanded?

Is there much chance that when CS ends the remaining/original SS amount can be enforced (not increased) as originally agreed upon?

Last edited:

Bali Hai

Agreed to $1150 CS and $850 SS = $1900.00. No idea (never heard of) marriage of long duration...apparently will pay through the nose for eternity.

Ex did not work outside of home during marriage, does not will not work now - lacks skills, lacks motivation.

New woman in my life and we are going to marry probably before 2011. Future wife rather well off financially with both investments and income producing property.

If I seek reduction in payments to ex due to ending of child support ,will joined incomes (mine and new wife) become part of any potential increase in support if an increase in support is demanded?

Is there much chance that when CS ends the remaining/original SS amount can be enforced (not increased) as originally agreed upon?
If your agreement has been approved by the court, it is a court order.

You now see that by AGREEING to pay someone free money for life vs. forcing the court order it has made a big difference for you.

If there is no court order, why are you paying alimony??

LdiJ

Its still a court order. Once the judge signed off on your stipulation and gave you the divorce, it became a court order.

The child support portion will eventually end.

Your new wife's income will be irrelevant. Does your agreement/stipulation/court order state that alimony is modifiable? If not, then she cannot ask for any increase.

Yes, there is every reason to believe that the original SS amount will stay the same. However, your ex is going to be in a world of hurt if she does not pay attention to that now and get herself some training and employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">