• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled and going through a divorce, can I get spousal support he makes 4X what I

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kokopelliwest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas
I am a 42 y/o female who was with my husband for 10 years, married for 8. During the middle of our marriage, I was determined disabled through the military at 70%. I have a ongoing SSI case that has been going on for over 1 1/2 years. My husband and I have an 9 year old. My husband has a great job in Kansas. I moved to colorado after a brief seperation. Due to me not being able to work and waiting for the trial for the determination of my SS disability, I am struggling to make ends meet. I worked periodically throughout our marriage until I was determined disabled.
Here is my question. My husband makes $92,000.00 a year and I make $1,940.00 a month. So if you break that down. My husband makes 4 times what I make in a month. My lawyer is going to try to get spousal support for me, but becuase I am living with my girlfriend in a nice house, etc. She said the judge probably won't give it to me because of me living with her. I am going to go for spousal support. What are my rights?
Any advice would be appreciated. I would enjoy to be able to keep somewhat of a similar type of lifestyle like my son and I had before.
Thank you.

LdiJ

I am a 42 y/o female who was with my husband for 10 years, married for 8. During the middle of our marriage, I was determined disabled through the military at 70%. I have a ongoing SSI case that has been going on for over 1 1/2 years. My husband and I have an 9 year old. My husband has a great job in Kansas. I moved to colorado after a brief seperation. Due to me not being able to work and waiting for the trial for the determination of my SS disability, I am struggling to make ends meet. I worked periodically throughout our marriage until I was determined disabled.
Here is my question. My husband makes $92,000.00 a year and I make $1,940.00 a month. So if you break that down. My husband makes 4 times what I make in a month. My lawyer is going to try to get spousal support for me, but becuase I am living with my girlfriend in a nice house, etc. She said the judge probably won't give it to me because of me living with her. I am going to go for spousal support. What are my rights?
Any advice would be appreciated. I would enjoy to be able to keep somewhat of a similar type of lifestyle like my son and I had before.
Thank you.
You might get some very short term spousal support, but I would not count on getting anything more than that.

You have not been married truly "long term" and you do have VA benefits and potentially pending SSDI benefits, and apparently fairly low living expenses since you are sharing a home with a friend.

Bali Hai

I am a 42 y/o female who was with my husband for 10 years, married for 8.

Were you with him or was he with you??

During the middle of our marriage, I was determined disabled through the military at 70%. I have a ongoing SSI case that has been going on for over 1 1/2 years. My husband and I have an 9 year old. My husband has a great job in Kansas. I moved to colorado after a brief seperation. Due to me not being able to work and waiting for the trial for the determination of my SS disability, I am struggling to make ends meet. I worked periodically throughout our marriage until I was determined disabled.

I'm sure you would, try using the 30% that you're not disabled to do that!

Thank you.
Read the news. The free ride is over!

Just like the fat cats on wall street, you won't have a golden parachute when you bail on your marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">