• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disabled spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvanpelt

NY

Have been married for 8 yrs, no kids. For last 4 yrs spouse is receiving SSDI of $1900 a month. My salary is 95K. I am contemplating a separation/divorce. What can I expect to pay in spousal support?
thanksWhat is the name of your state?

jvanpelt

spousal support for disabled

My husband became disabled by SSI 9/2003. He has about 70K in IRA's and the back pay from disability. We do not own property, no kids. I have my retirement monies and small saving account.

LdiJ

My husband became disabled by SSI 9/2003. He has about 70K in IRA's and the back pay from disability. We do not own property, no kids. I have my retirement monies and small saving account.
You would each be entitled to 1/2 of the other's retirement accounts, and 1/2 of the saving's account. If you own your home you would each be entitled to 1/2 of the equity.

What are your respective ages? Alimony definitely is a potential issue here. Normally I would say not, because the marriage is fairly short term, but when a disability is thrown into the mix, that changes things.

nextwife

You would each be entitled to 1/2 of the other's retirement accounts, and 1/2 of the saving's account. If you own your home you would each be entitled to 1/2 of the equity.

What are your respective ages? Alimony definitely is a potential issue here. Normally I would say not, because the marriage is fairly short term, but when a disability is thrown into the mix, that changes things.
They have been married nine years: we do NO know if the entire retirement accounts were premarital, nor when the house was purchased, and if it was paid in full pre-marriage. Therefore, I really don't think we can declare they each get half the named 401ks, IRAs or house

Last edited:

LdiJ

They have been married nine years: we do NO know if the entire retirement accounts were premarital, nor when the house was purchased, and if it was paid in full pre-marriage. Therefore, I really don't think we can declare they each get half the named 401ks, IRAs or house
You are correct, I intended to add, and neglected to add "accrued during the marriage".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">