• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Displaced Homemaker and Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Halieh S

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

At my husband's insistence, I have been out of the workforce for twelve years. During that time, he earned an accounting degree and I finished my Master's degree in psychology. I have never completed an internship or developed work experience due to my obligations towards our three children.

We want to divorce but are waiting out the current economic storm. My spouse lost his job five months ago and is having difficulty finding another job. We have no household income at this time. I'd like to return to work in an effort to bring some income into the house.

So, here is my question...

If my spouse files for the divorce while I am working and he is unemployed, will I have to pay him alimony?

Thanks in advance for your answer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

Displaced Homemaker and Alimony
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

At my husband's insistence, I have been out of the workforce for twelve years. During that time, he earned an accounting degree and I finished my Master's degree in psychology. I have never completed an internship or developed work experience due to my obligations towards our three children.

We want to divorce but are waiting out the current economic storm. My spouse lost his job five months ago and is having difficulty finding another job. We have no household income at this time. I'd like to return to work in an effort to bring some income into the house.

So, here is my question...

If my spouse files for the divorce while I am working and he is unemployed, will I have to pay him alimony?

Thanks in advance for your answer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How are you a "Displaced Homemaker"??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No you most likely would not pay him alimony. But that depends on a lot more information. You really need to get a job and not worry about alimony at this point in order to make sure that you are able to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.

Halieh S

Displaced Homemaker Definition

Hi. Perhaps I am mistaken about what it means to be a displaced homemaker (I included a definition below).

I have been out of the workforce for 12 years caring for our children.
I am unsure if I have marketable skills.
I was dependant upon my spouse for income but that income is no longer available.

Once he files for a divorce, if I am not working, I will be most certainly be a displaced homemaker.

A displaced homemaker is an adult who has been out of the workforce, working to care for the home and children, and often has diminished or hidden marketable skills, has been dependent on public assistance or the income of a relative but is no longer supported by such income, or is a parent whose youngest dependent child will become ineligible to receive assistance under Part A of the Title IV of the Social Security Act, is unemployed or underemployed, and is experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment (American Vocational Association, 1998, pp. 88-90).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">