• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DissoMaster calculator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostsoul2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello

My SS comes out to be too much. My inexperienced attorney was not prepared for the DissoMaster based printouts that my wife's attorney submitted, and it seems the judge took her numbers as factual, and awarded the demanded alimoney.

The issues with the numbers are:

1. The # of federal exemptions for me was shown as 1. In fact its 0 all the 2009 year and before.
2. Salary was shown a bit exaggerated.
3. I paid for her health insurance, but it was shown as my health insurance

My net income thus came out to be too much more than it is.

What are my options now? Can i challenge judge's order because my attorney was ahole? How can I verify these numbers? What should be the SS $ amount in actual?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello

My SS comes out to be too much. My inexperienced attorney was not prepared for the DissoMaster based printouts that my wife's attorney submitted, and it seems the judge took her numbers as factual, and awarded the demanded alimoney.

The issues with the numbers are:

1. The # of federal exemptions for me was shown as 1. In fact its 0 all the 2009 year and before.
2. Salary was shown a bit exaggerated.
3. I paid for her health insurance, but it was shown as my health insurance

My net income thus came out to be too much more than it is.

What are my options now? Can i challenge judge's order because my attorney was ahole? How can I verify these numbers? What should be the SS $ amount in actual?

Thanks
It was correct to calculate it using 1 federal exemption. Just because you withheld as "0" (had extra withheld) doesn't mean it should be calculated that way.

How was your salary exaggerated?

Health insurance is a deduction from income so how did it hurt you to have her health insurance shown as your health insurance and therefore a deduction from income?

lostsoul2

It was correct to calculate it using 1 federal exemption. Just because you withheld as "0" (had extra withheld) doesn't mean it should be calculated that way.

How was your salary exaggerated?

Health insurance is a deduction from income so how did it hurt you to have her health insurance shown as your health insurance and therefore a deduction from income?
Thanks, I am clear now on federal exemptions and health insurance.

Apparently, my attorney knew just about the 40-50 formula for guide line support. From that formula, my SS came out to be 500 (In Alameda county, CA). I was astonished to see 1500 SS awarded to her. And then I saw the judge's copy. My salary was taken as entered by my wife (3K more). My I&E was clear on my gross salary per month, with recent paystub but the judge never bothered to take a look.

Second issue: If the tax filing status is "married filing jointly", I get the $900 worth of SS, but my wife's attorney just submitted "Single Status" filing, and the judge took it. My attorney never objected to it.

What are your views on it? Should I go back to court with another attorney?

Thanks

Last edited:

LdiJ

Apparently, my attorney knew just about the 40-50 formula for guide line support. From that formula, my SS came out to be 500 (In Alameda county, CA). I was astonished to see 1500 SS awarded to her. And then I saw the judge's copy. My salary was taken as entered by my wife (3K more). My I&E was clear on my gross salary per month, with recent paystub but the judge never bothered to take a look.

Second issue: If the tax filing status is "married filing jointly", I get the $900 worth of SS, but my wife's attorney just submitted "Single Status" filing, and the judge took it. My attorney never objected to it.

It should be "single status" because that is what you will be once the divorce is final.

What is your actual monthly income? Are you calculating it based on your yearly income divided by 12 (the correct method) or are you calculating it based on 4 weeks (the incorrect method)?

Bali Hai

It should be "single status" because that is what you will be once the divorce is final.

What is your actual monthly income? Are you calculating it based on your yearly income divided by 12 (the correct method) or are you calculating it based on 4 weeks (the incorrect method)?
He shouldn't be calculating anything for a 5 year marriage, he should be fighting alimony.

I calculate the judge's IQ at zero divided by twelve!

lostsoul2

I have two paychecks per month. I am multiplying my gross income on one paycheck by 2, to get my monthly income.

Thanks for clarifying Tax filing status.

lostsoul2

He shouldn't be calculating anything for a 5 year marriage, he should be fighting alimony.

I calculate the judge's IQ at zero divided by twelve!

They call it Guide Line SS. My ex is making nearly 85K per year. With bonus hers is exceeding 100K. But the judge just awarded her that much SS, just because she could not keep the house and had to move out. I was left with undervalued home, paying its exorbitant mortgage + SS.

And for the time she lived in the house, she never shared the mortgage + utilities bills.

bobdobalina

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the I&E declaration asks for the most recent two months worth of pay stubs. This makes a big difference if (like me) you receive a big yearly profit-sharing bonus. i.e., monthly gross income is not yearly gross divided by 12.

Bali Hai

They call it Guide Line SS. My ex is making nearly 85K per year. With bonus hers is exceeding 100K. But the judge just awarded her that much SS, just because she could not keep the house and had to move out. I was left with undervalued home, paying its exorbitant mortgage + SS.

And for the time she lived in the house, she never shared the mortgage + utilities bills.
Oh well, like my attorney said to me just before I fired him "what can I say Bali, it's a woman's world".

gr8rn

Woman's world? Not necessarily

Not if your husband is a dead beat loser with a drug and alcohol problem, in which case in PA the judge will hand him $300 a month SS in appreciation for his being a dead beat loser; which I paid for the entire year that I waited for my divorce from said dead beat loser, in which case on obtaining my divorce and filing for child support which I had told the dead beat loser I would never do, but I did anyway now the dead beat loser pays $200 a month child support for the next 12 years which is a lot of money when you are a dead beat loser. paybacks a silly crazy beotch:D

Bali Hai

Woman's world? Not necessarily

Not if your husband is a dead beat loser with a drug and alcohol problem, in which case in PA the judge will hand him $300 a month SS in appreciation for his being a dead beat loser; which I paid for the entire year that I waited for my divorce from said dead beat loser, in which case on obtaining my divorce and filing for child support which I had told the dead beat loser I would never do, but I did anyway now the dead beat loser pays $200 a month child support for the next 12 years which is a lot of money when you are a dead beat loser. paybacks a silly crazy beotch:D
Did you marry him that way, or convert him?

gr8rn

I totally get what you are saying, in my defense, I am in a healing profession and I blame it on the Angel of mercy in me.

Now I know better, but 10 years ago, I thought I saw something I could fix. :(

Is this a CA thing? SS for a 5 year marriage? To a working spouse? Is this limited to a certain number of months at least?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">