• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

braybray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio in my devorce decree my ex's lawyer filed for a percentage of my military retirement. since the reserves go by points the department of defense refused to pay it. my ex wrote to her congressman and he sent me a letter in which he contacted the airforce about this matter. she wants me to sign this document and get it notorized and send it back within 14 days to avoid lawyer fees. Do I have to sign it? she has been married three time since me. and has come into a sizable inheritance.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio in my devorce decree my ex's lawyer filed for a percentage of my military retirement. since the reserves go by points the department of defense refused to pay it. my ex wrote to her congressman and he sent me a letter in which he contacted the airforce about this matter. she wants me to sign this document and get it notorized and send it back within 14 days to avoid lawyer fees. Do I have to sign it? she has been married three time since me. and has come into a sizable inheritance.
Never sign a document you don't understand without showing it to an attorney.

nextwife

What was she awarded/agreed in the divorce decree? I suggest you advise the congressman's office you need to first have an attorney review it on your behalf and make certain it is in accordance with the terms of the divorce decree.

LdiJ

If your court order awards her a percentage of your retirement, and you were not married long enough for the dod to pay her that share directly, then you are supposed to be paying her the share yourself.

That was a property settlement, and it has nothing to do with whether or not she remarried or has come into any inheritance. It was not and is not any form of alimony or spousal support.

If you do not pay it, then you can be taken to court for contempt.

nextwife

If your court order awards her a percentage of your retirement, and you were not married long enough for the dod to pay her that share directly, then you are supposed to be paying her the share yourself.

That was a property settlement, and it has nothing to do with whether or not she remarried or has come into any inheritance. It was not and is not any form of alimony or spousal support.

If you do not pay it, then you can be taken to court for contempt.

WE do not know what was agreed in the divorce decree as to what she was awarded. They may have traded other consideration, such as he left her retirement alone and she left his alone. Or he gave up the house in exchange for him keeping his retirement.

We don't know that she gets ANYTHING - so he should consult an attorney and have the agreement reviewed FIRST, as it obviously occurred a very long time ago.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You owe what is in your divorce decree. If you do not sign it, you may find yourself being found guilty of contempt and having to pay sanctions in addition to the percentage of your retirement.

LdiJ

WE do not know what was agreed in the divorce decree as to what she was awarded. They may have traded other consideration, such as he left her retirement alone and she left his alone. Or he gave up the house in exchange for him keeping his retirement.

We don't know that she gets ANYTHING - so he should consult an attorney and have the agreement reviewed FIRST, as it obviously occurred a very long time ago.
Nexie, he stated that she was awarded a percentage of his retirement in his divorce decree. He stated that he assumed she wasn't entitled to it because the DOD wouldn't pay it to her directly. No one is assuming anything here other than what he posted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">