• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i have to pay the abortion and the related expense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinrobin2015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina

My gf was pregnant half year ago and we decide to abortion. However, her abortion caused kidney dead and then a very complicated surgery. Of coz it brought very high expense. my question is: Do i need to pay half of the cost? Now she threated to file lawsuit against me

Thanks for your help!

Proserpina

(I also answered this on the other forum)

Robin, you need to do two things.

1. Dump this woman immediately
2. See #1.

You owe her nothing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think proserpina was a bit premature as it has not been established you had not committed yourself to some financial assistance but given your response, now it's;

tell her to take a hike.
I disagree - this doesn't sound at all like a detrimental reliance matter and that's really the only thing that the mother could hang her hat on for forcing the OP to pay.

Proserpina

I donot understand what you said. Can you explain more?

Robin, the answer was based on your (hopefully ex, now?) girlfriend having you sign something or promise something that may make you liable for costs.

I can tell you this though - if she does so much as enter the courthouse with the intent of suing you, she better be able to prove that her kidney issues were a direct result of the abortion.

And I do mean "prove".

robinrobin2015

Robin, the answer was based on your (hopefully ex, now?) girlfriend having you sign something or promise something that may make you liable for costs.

I can tell you this though - if she does so much as enter the courthouse with the intent of suing you, she better be able to prove that her kidney issues were a direct result of the abortion.

And I do mean "prove".
I have not signed anything to her or promised anything.

Zigner

You don't owe anything. Tell her to pound sand. Why is she still your girlfriend?

justalayman

I disagree - this doesn't sound at all like a detrimental reliance matter and that's really the only thing that the mother could hang her hat on for forcing the OP to pay.
Why wouldn't detrimental reliance fit?

Let me propose a scenario;

Gf; I'm pregnant.

Bf; I don't want a baby. Have you considered an abortion?

Gf; yes but I don't have insurance to cover it so I am just going to have the baby and give it up for adoption

Bf; (saying to himself, ya right. She's going to have the baby and I get stuck with child support). I'll help. I'll pay half of the cost of the abortion.

Gf; ok but you can't stiff me on this because I really can't afford it on my own.

Bf; no problem. I got ya covered.

So why wouldn't detrimental reliance apply in that scenario.

Now mind you it would only apply to the abortion. The additional expenses due to the injured kidney would not fall under the same claim.

Last edited:

Zigner

Why wouldn't detrimental reliance fit?

Let me propose a scenario;

Gf; I'm pregnant.

Bf; I don't want a baby. Have you considered an abortion?

Gf; yes but I don't have insurance to cover it so I am just going to have the baby and give it up for adoption

Bf; (saying to himself, ya right. She's going to have the baby and I get stuck with child support). I'll help. I'll pay half of the cost of the abortion.

Gf; ok but you can't stiff me on this because I really can't afford it on my own.

Bf; no problem. I got ya covered.

So why wouldn't detrimental reliance apply in that scenario.

Now mind you it would only apply to the abortion. The additional expenses due to the injured kidney would not fall under the same claim.
Ok, perhaps on the abortion...perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">