• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay alimony in Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevin32

Hi. We're from Texas and I'm divorcing my wife because of irreconcilable differences. We've been married for 4 yrs. and have a 3yr old daughter. I'm 30 and she's 40. My wife was working at the time we met, but after we got married, she applied for and receives social security payments of about $700 for a health-related problem and now she doesn't have to work (although I haven't read any documentation proving she doesn't). I make about $40K at my job. She wants custody of our daughter, so I have to pay child support. She also expects me to take care of her financially since she doesn't have to work.

Because I want the divorce, and she doesn't have to work, do I HAVE to pay alimony? If so, is it for the rest of her life?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have a very short term marriage. Expect any spousal maintenance to be extremely temporary maybe during the divorce. Expect to pay child support if mom gets custody of the child. As for not seeing any documentation that she is disabled, she receives Social Security disability. The federal government states she is disabled. The checks are proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">