• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does support money come out of final settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbpatter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My husband and I are splitting up after 35 years. We have agreed to an uncontested divorce, and I plan to move back to NY where my family lives. I need to move out now, as things are not good, and I understand I need a year separation. I have been completely supported by him through our marriage, he is currently retired, and we have 4 grown children.

He plans to give me $75k when I move out, that we both agree will come out of our final divorce settlement. He was planning to also give me $8K a month for 'support' until the divorce is final.

My question is, does that $8k a month also come out of the final divorce settlement? My husband seems to think that it does, and I disagree.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
My husband and I are splitting up after 35 years. We have agreed to an uncontested divorce, and I plan to move back to NY where my family lives. I need to move out now, as things are not good, and I understand I need a year separation. I have been completely supported by him through our marriage, he is currently retired, and we have 4 grown children.

He plans to give me $75k when I move out, that we both agree will come out of our final divorce settlement. He was planning to also give me $8K a month for 'support' until the divorce is final.

My question is, does that $8k a month also come out of the final divorce settlement? My husband seems to think that it does, and I disagree.
It sounds to me like there is enough money involved in this whole situation that you should probably be having an attorney review things.

8k a month is quite a bit of money. Odds are that is much more than a court would award as spousal support. Therefore there could be some argument that at least a portion of it would be part of the property settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">