• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Tax benefit from Mortgage Interest Increase my support payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nick123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was married for 20+ years and am in process of finalizing the divorce settlement agreement. We are trying to settle on me potentially buying the community property from her. We were a single earning family which was me, so I contributed solely to all house payments, etc. We are close to agreeing on a purchase price of the house, but I am now told that my support payments will increase as a result of the tax benefit received from mortgage interest. The argument is that my net income will be higher and thus will be paying more in support per dissomaster calculations.
Supposedly, the dissomaster calculations line "Ded. Interest expense" is where my mortgage interest paid must be stated.
Please advise.

Thanks

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was married for 20+ years and am in process of finalizing the divorce settlement agreement. We are trying to settle on me potentially buying the community property from her. We were a single earning family which was me, so I contributed solely to all house payments, etc. We are close to agreeing on a purchase price of the house, but I am now told that my support payments will increase as a result of the tax benefit received from mortgage interest. The argument is that my net income will be higher and thus will be paying more in support per dissomaster calculations.
Supposedly, the dissomaster calculations line "Ded. Interest expense" is where my mortgage interest paid must be stated.
Please advise.

Thanks
What advice do you want? No one here can change the math for you.

You know what your options are. If you don't want to buy the house, then arrange for it to be sold and split the marital equity.

In addition, if the house is in Canada, the U.S. courts will not have jurisdiction over it.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What advice do you want? No one here can change the math for you.

You know what your options are. If you don't want to buy the house, then arrange for it to be sold and split the marital equity.

In addition, if the house is in Canada, the U.S. courts will not have jurisdiction over it.
Where do you get that anything is in Canada?

From my understanding the dissomaster calculations do factor home mortgage interest in...because it reduces taxable income and therefore increases net income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">