• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pdmc06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT/NY
I was divorced in 2006 in Connecticut, I now live in New York.
I have recently found out that my ex has been registering the van she got in the property settlement in my name for the last 6 years. She also kept my name on one of her credit cards and has utility bills in my name all at her CT address. My daughter got sick this year (who lives with her mother) so my ex put me down as responsible for the bills with all the doctors, etc. but at her address. This has all caused issues with my credit rating because it looks like I have 2 addresses whenever someone checks my credit.
Due to these issues, can I take her back to court and have the alimony I have to pay her until I die ended?
It is listed as modifiable in the divorce paperwork from the court.

mistoffolees

I have recently found out that my ex has been registering the van she got in the property settlement in my name for the last 6 years. She also kept my name on one of her credit cards and has utility bills in my name all at her CT address. My daughter got sick this year (who lives with her mother) so my ex put me down as responsible for the bills with all the doctors, etc. but at her address. This has all caused issues with my credit rating because it looks like I have 2 addresses whenever someone checks my credit.
Due to these issues, can I take her back to court and have the alimony I have to pay her until I die ended?
Probably not.

I would suggest that you focus on the actual problems. If your ex was signing you up as responsible for bills and did not have the legal authority to do so, notify the doctors, etc that you are not responsible and file an identity theft report.

As for the utility bills and credit cards, that's not as clear. It was really up to you to contact those creditors to have your name removed from the accounts. Since you didn't do so, there was no identity theft, although you could go to court to ask to be reimbursed.

LdiJ

Ok, let me ask some important questions....

Is this van that was registered in both your names when the van was purchased, and she has just been renewing the registration?

Are these utilities bills that have been ongoing since before the divorce and she has just continued paying them?

Is the credit card one that you were an authorized user on and she has just continued to pay and use it?

Are you the provider of the insurance and could that be why the hospital/provider put your name on it?

If the above it true, its not identity theft.

However, if she did any of that (except perhaps for the medical bill) well after your divorce, then it would be identity theft.

pdmc06

The van was and still is registered in my name only, she got it in the property settlement. It was insured in my name also until the fall of 2010 when she got a new car and kept the van also as a backup.
The utility bills were in my name before the divorce and she just never change the account over to her. I did not want to turn off the lights or heat on my kids so I left it up to her.
The credit card is hers and she added my name while we were married and kept me on it because her debt to income ration is to big without my income included according to the credit card company.
I called the doctors and hospitals and they said she filled out the forms incorrectly and should have put me as carrying the insurance and her as responsible for the bills at her address or me as responsible at my address.

mistoffolees

The van was and still is registered in my name only, she got it in the property settlement. It was insured in my name also until the fall of 2010 when she got a new car and kept the van also as a backup.
The utility bills were in my name before the divorce and she just never change the account over to her. I did not want to turn off the lights or heat on my kids so I left it up to her.
The credit card is hers and she added my name while we were married and kept me on it because her debt to income ration is to big without my income included according to the credit card company.
I called the doctors and hospitals and they said she filled out the forms incorrectly and should have put me as carrying the insurance and her as responsible for the bills at her address or me as responsible at my address.
For the credit cards, if she simply added your name as an authorized user, that doesn't make you liable for the bills. Ask the credit card company for a copy of the document YOU signed saying that you agreed to pay the bills.

As for the medical bills, tell each of the doctors that she filled out the forms wrong and you are not responsible. I would seriously consider filing an identity theft report - and definitely notify the credit agencies.

LdiJ

Ok, then we really don't have identity theft going on here, we mostly have laziness.

You can certainly take it to court to ask a judge to order her to get the utilities and the van switched over into her name.

mistoffolees

Ok, then we really don't have identity theft going on here, we mostly have laziness.
She put OP down as the responsible party for medical expenses with the doctors. Unless the divorce decree allows her to do that, it is illegal.

The utility bills and van are OP's fault for not having them changed, but the medical clearly is wrong.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So did you sign over the title of the van to HER alone?

Okay so while lapse in judgment that is not as though she opened NEW accounts with your name on it.

So the credit card will not allow YOUR name to be removed. She can't do anything about that.
Then change it with the doctors and hospitals. Many times however whoever carries the insurance is considered "responsible" for the bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">