• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending Alimony/Family Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VictorWestCoast

California (only U.S. law)?
Okay, here is the background.
Was married for 11 years. Three children.
At the time of divorce my ex didn’t have a viable job skill. I was making 100K.
This was 1995.
Since, she went back to school and got her Master Degree in Education and is now a full-time teacher in the local school district.
I faithfully paid close to 60K a year for the first 10 years. In addition I provided full health insurance for my three boys. As well as $50 per month per kid for allowance.
After those 10 years our oldest son reached his 18th birthday. (As part of the family support I paid $250 per month, per child) So when our eldest reached 18 I/We decreased the family support by $250, but then paid $300 to my son’s checking account for gas/food money.
I did the same for each of our other kids, when they reached 18, I/We reduced the support by $250 and deposited $300 into each kids checking account.
Also when they reached 16 I purchase each of them a car…used car but a car none the less. Plus I pay all of the car insurance.
So here we are, 2008. All three in college. 20, 21 and 23 years old. My middle child is going away to college He has scholarships that pay most of his expenses. The other two have various school loans that are paying their major expenses. Although my ex and I have split most of the minor school expenses. Books, tuition and parking passes.
I want to reduce the family support by 1/3, since our middle child won’t be living at home, and besides I pay ½ of all his expenses anyway…after I pay the family support.

And I don’t want to be picky but technically, unless specified in the divorce papers, shouldn’t the ex pay for school expenses, car expenses etc out of the “family support” payments? Just saying.

So adjustments to income: I now make twice as much…around 180K and she makes??? She is a teacher so probably only around 25K? The house she is living in cost $225K when we bought it in 1990. It is now worth $750K.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

California (only U.S. law)?
Okay, here is the background.
Was married for 11 years. Three children.
At the time of divorce my ex didn’t have a viable job skill. I was making 100K.
This was 1995.
Since, she went back to school and got her Master Degree in Education and is now a full-time teacher in the local school district.
I faithfully paid close to 60K a year for the first 10 years. In addition I provided full health insurance for my three boys. As well as $50 per month per kid for allowance.
After those 10 years our oldest son reached his 18th birthday. (As part of the family support I paid $250 per month, per child) So when our eldest reached 18 I/We decreased the family support by $250, but then paid $300 to my son’s checking account for gas/food money.
I did the same for each of our other kids, when they reached 18, I/We reduced the support by $250 and deposited $300 into each kids checking account.
Also when they reached 16 I purchase each of them a car…used car but a car none the less. Plus I pay all of the car insurance.
So here we are, 2008. All three in college. 20, 21 and 23 years old. My middle child is going away to college He has scholarships that pay most of his expenses. The other two have various school loans that are paying their major expenses. Although my ex and I have split most of the minor school expenses. Books, tuition and parking passes.
I want to reduce the family support by 1/3, since our middle child won’t be living at home, and besides I pay ½ of all his expenses anyway…after I pay the family support.

And I don’t want to be picky but technically, unless specified in the divorce papers, shouldn’t the ex pay for school expenses, car expenses etc out of the “family support” payments? Just saying.

So adjustments to income: I now make twice as much…around 180K and she makes??? She is a teacher so probably only around 25K? The house she is living in cost $225K when we bought it in 1990. It is now worth $750K.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
stop double posting

https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/ending-alimony-family-support-425840.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">