• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Fired... Now what??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mykidsmom2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi,

Recently my ex husband was fired from his job that he has had for over 8 years. Since he was fired he has decided to not go out and find a new job but he has decided to go into business for himself. But while he has made these decisions he has decided that he can no longer pay his child support or allimony. My question is this... What should I do? I have called the Family Law Facilitators like this site had suggested but they basically told me that there was nothing they could do about it. So in that case how will anyone know if he doesn't pay me if it isn't noted somewhere with the court? Also a friend had mentioned that I should talk to the welfare department to see about them helping me. I am just at a loss as to where to go. I don't think that it's fair if he got off scott free from paying his child support/allimony when I know for a fact that he can go out and stand in line for a new Iphone andstuff like that but if it comes to me and the kids forget it... Ohh and since he claims to be starting his own business he thinks he will in the mean time be given unemployment. Is this true and since we have 50/50 custody is there any chance if I took him back to court could I get more custody? (Since in fact I have them more anyway) What should I do???

All help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

JETX

I don't think that it's fair if he got off scott free from paying his child support/allimony when I know for a fact that he can go out and stand in line for a new Iphone andstuff like that but if it comes to me and the kids forget it.
He isn't 'scott free'. His obligation to pay is not automatically affected by his no longer being employed. The court order stands as it always has. Simply, if he doesn't pay, haul his ass into court with a 'show cause' order.
Of course, he could petition the court for a modification, but absent that, he still is obligated to pay.

since we have 50/50 custody is there any chance if I took him back to court could I get more custody?
Not based on the fact of his employment.

CourtClerk

Get your shack up to pay your alimony. He's doing you, he should pay for it.

As for the child support, your ex needs to file for modification (and terminate the alimony all together).

tuffbrk

Get your shack up to pay your alimony. He's doing you, he should pay for it.

As for the child support, your ex needs to file for modification (and terminate the alimony all together).
Umm...is this comment based on a previous thread or did I miss something?! OP is living with someone who presumably is contributing towards household expenses and instead of working is relying on alimony?!

If that's the case - hope the Ex is going into a cash business...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">