• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex out of work, is new wife responsible of alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedfunds

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Illinois.
My husband will be laid off in January 2010. Will his new wife be responsible for my alimony?

Thank you

Isis1

Why would SHE be responsible for it? Was she ever married to you?
even if OP is STILL married to the husband while married to the new wife?? :p

OP, NO. the EX (i hope) is the only one responsible for paying court ordered alimony. now, if the new wife WANTS to pay for his legal responsibilities, then by all means, take the check and cash it.

nextwife

But new wife should keep all of her accounts SEPARETE!

And he should file for at least some temporary relief from SS. After all, had his ex still been MARRIED to the guy, she would have to adjust her lifestyle if he were laid off.

Astrolink

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in Illinois.
My husband will be laid off in January 2010. Will his new wife be responsible for my alimony?

Thank you

If he's your husband and he has a new wife, is he married to both of you?

CJane

But new wife should keep all of her accounts SEPARETE!

And he should file for at least some temporary relief from SS. After all, had his ex still been MARRIED to the guy, she would have to adjust her lifestyle if he were laid off.
Which is completely irrelevant unless his alimony is modifiable, which we don't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">