• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex spouse underreported income and SS retirement benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calif

My ex spouse (married 30 years) under reported his income to the IRS for all our marriage. I just found out after the divorce when I was checking out Social Security Retirement benefits. I live on spousal support only. He is a professional, owns his own practice and an LLC and made somewhere between $150,000-$200,000/year. His SS benefits show he never made more then $57,000/year. He lied. Also a forensic accountant said he was under reporting his income. I cannot live on the amount of SS I will be getting because of his lies to the IRS. What can I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Calif

My ex spouse (married 30 years) under reported his income to the IRS for all our marriage. I just found out after the divorce when I was checking out Social Security Retirement benefits. I live on spousal support only. He is a professional, owns his own practice and an LLC and made somewhere between $150,000-$200,000/year. His SS benefits show he never made more then $57,000/year. He lied. Also a forensic accountant said he was under reporting his income. I cannot live on the amount of SS I will be getting because of his lies to the IRS. What can I do?
So did you file jointly with him all your marriage? If so you are just as much to blame. Congrats. Oh and posting history on this one.

Oh and even better she is a THREAD DELETER.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Interesting post from her:

05-29-2011, 05:32 PM

Sw3tflower

joint

Yes, we filed a joint return the year the entire plan was liquidated. He says the bank account the remaining money is in is a retirement account. Would that make sense to liquidate a pension plan of over $100k and put it in his business account, then 2 months later put what's left, $6710, in a retirement accountant? What am I paying over $800 in taxes for?
The taxes were paid and I think he just has it in a personal account.
I have never been ablt to track down the rest of the money.
They filed joint returns. She is just as bad as he is then. Amazing isn't it? She is lying and didn't just find out. She would have known then. Or should have known then. After all they filed jointly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In addition at the time of the divorce she had a forensic accountant's report:
03-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Sw3tflower

Trial Witness?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif
My divorce trial is on Wed. It was a severe financial (plus emotional and physical) abuse marriage of 30 years. We had a forensic accountant make a report about personal, corparate and LLC finances since my husband says his income is 0$
Why do I need a witness to testify to the official forensic accountant's document? Isn't the document enough? My husband, the court and I all hired him. My husband did many illegal things and I need that evidence for the judge to see.
How do I find an accountant to testify? How much do they cost? My husband has TOTAL control of the money I have a pro Bono attorney. It's in Contra Costa County. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and in this thread she was supposed to be awarded millions:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/division-llc-534994.html

I thought that sounded like I would get paid 25% interest of the appraised value, not the appraised value minus money owed. Considering I invested about 1 million (without my knowledge or consent) to the purchase and upkeep of the LLC, if the LLC is worth 4 million (regardless of the outstanding loan) I feel as if I should entitled to 1 million. After all, it is worth 4 million even if at the time of purchase it was worth 6 million.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and in 2010 guess what?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/tax-law-12/reporting-fraud-irs-506827.html

She was griping then -- PRIOR TO THE DIVORCE about it. Now she claims she just found out.

Reporting fraud to IRS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif
When a tax preparer sends in joint tax returns for a married couple without the signature/knowledge of the wife, has the refund deposited into his own bank account, and with the husand's help, changes corporate profit into loss, income into liabilities, reduces personal income available for a judge to determine spousal support, what good does it do me, the spouse, to report the accountant to the IRS? (a forensic accountant hired by the court discovered this)
I did report the accountant for filing the taxes and depositing the refund into his account, and all the IRS did was take the money out of his account, however, he did it again the following year. I again reported him to the IRS but don't understand why he was allowed to do it since the IRS said they were aware of the situation.
I am now hesitant to report to the IRS the findings of the forensic accountant. They are looking after THEIR interests, not mine. I have been told I will not benefit or get my money back and might end up owing them money I do not have.
I cannot afford an attorney to represent me, either to protect myself from the IRS or get the money the accountant and my husband took from me.
Am I wrong about this? Will reporting this to the IRS help me since I was also the victim or just end up hurting me?
OP, you are a liar. A BIG LIAR.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Then there is this thread way back in 2008 where she was given advice on IRS and tax fraud and such:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/tax-filed-after-divorce-papers-served-438665.html

Eekamouse

OP, it would appear that you are going to have to get yourself a job. You probably have a million reasons why you can't work but none of those reasons are going to support you financially.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and there is thread:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/recovery-assets-abusive-marriage-415252.html

06-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Sw3tflower

thankyou

thankyou for your advice.
The attorney has offered his services after being approached by a Domestic Violence group.
I called the IRS and was granted 'Innocent Spouse' for unpaid 2006 personal taxes which he still owes.
I am calling them again tomorrow to request the LLC transcripts.
And yes....he has huge tax problems for unpaid payroll taxes (2002-2006). They involve his corporation. Can I get transcripts for that too?

What have you done in the last six years to better yourself? ANYTHING? Or did you just expect to live off of your ex?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Furthermore:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/education-law-47/federal-grants-tax-returns-367515.html

And even in 2007:
Financial aid people

The financial aid people have been less then helpfull.
She finally talked to a supervisor who told her to not to come back unless she has a signed tax return. The college is refusing to discuss her options with her or even process her grant without a signed return. They have a point....last year they gave her aid based on a tax extension submitted and a promise from her father to file the taxes. He filed them in 2007 (the 2005 taxes). I guess the college now has to give the government back the money they gave her. They told her forget the grant and get a loan....and if she continues to follow through with her grant she will be "opening a can of worms that will result in her having to repay last year's grant money".
When she first met with the supervisor, she was told her file was the biggest mess ever seen and she should have been referred to the supervisor last year....not her fault.... They messed up....and sounds like they are trying to cover it up.
OK, they are mad because they are out money, but they are taking their anger out on her instead of her father. She is caught in the middle and being victimized by both sides. She needs their help.
Everything was the fault of the man to whom she was married. She took NO RESPONSIBILITY for it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Then there is THIS marvelous one from 2007:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/tax-law-12/can-tax-refund-sent-third-party-calif-372246.html

Can tax refund be sent to third party? Calif

Calif
Can I have my joint state and federal tax refund sent directly to an account other then mine or my husbands?
I need to borrow the money and pay the accountant before he will finish our taxes. I would like the money to go directly to the account of the person the money was borrowed from.
Also, when is the deadline for filing (with extension)?
My daughter is eligible for a Cal and Federal Grant but must meet the filing deadlines. I am trying desperately to get the taxes filed before the deadline ends.
Thankyou
So she actually filed the taxes jointly. GO FIGURE. Yet somehow it is her ex-husband's fault that she committed fraud. NO SYMPATHY. Because she wants NO RESPONSIBILITY for her lawbreaking.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't ask for your PM nor did I give you permission to PM me:
The truth

I posted numerous questions about my rights in a divorce. You misunderstood why I posted so many questions and decided it was because I wanted to screw over my ex. That is not true at all. I was trying to find out my rights. I was being mislead and didn't know what to do.
That said, the divorce is over. I lost everything, so obviously I didn't screw him over.
I have now asked a new question that relates to the divorce. I hope, if you answer, you can keep an open mind (believing my intentions were only to screw up my ex) and actually believe I really just needed to understand my legal rights and might have been the victim here.
You aren't an innocent victim. YOU were a participant for 30 years. What that means is you contributed to the fact that your ex underreported his income. You filed jointly. You seem to want to blame him for the acts in which you participated. It doesn't work that way. You are now reaping what you sowed. Congratulations.

OH and I didn't decide you wanted to screw over your ex. I am pointing out that you knew about the IRS filings more than six years ago and participated in the filing. You did nothing about it but continued to participate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP claims the ex committed fraud by under reporting income because he owns a business. The owner of the (multi-million dollar) company that I work for likes to explain that the never got a paycheck for more than $100 per week. Yes, he's owned this business for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">