• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to pay child support and alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecapt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Illinois and husband is in Michigan. Long story short my husband is over $30k behind in child support and alimony. I sometimes get partial payment and sometimes not. I'm in school trying to finish my degree. Since I'm in school full time and taking care of my kids, I don't have the extra time to work which in turn can't pay to hire an attorney to fight him for back payments. He has recently lost his job and which will end any little money I was getting. My question is how can i have him arrested for failure to pay support? Since we were divorced in Illinois and he lives in Michigan how does that work? Any help on what to do would be appreciated.
Thank you:(

tuffbrk

So he doesn't have a job yet you expect him to somehow come up with the money he wasn't able to send regularly when working?! Kind of silly. You should have done it earlier when he was employed.

Is your order managed by the state? Or sent to you directly? If it is paid through the state, contact their enforcement division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">