• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Motion for Contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DDQueen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

The divorce settlement agreed to in August 2013 with my ex-husband calls for $1,100/month in spousal support for 2 years, $2,000/lump sum payment by November 30, 2013 and repayment of a personal loan, his alone, in the sum of $335/month with a $3000.00 balance. We were married for 13 years. I am 59 and wanted a little bit of help getting settled in a less expensive life. I wasn't asking to be supported by him for the rest of my life.

He has had numerous jobs in the years we were married. He is very intelligent and highly skilled in his field. When the settlement was reached he was making $80K a year, I make $29K. I had my own service business for 16 years but ending up losing it because we moved a lot for him to find job after job. I took an office job making $14/hour two years ago and I am still there at $14/hour. He couldn't seem to stay at one job for more than 6-9 months at a time or less but when he does work it's always in the $80K to $100K+ range. While my business didn't make us rich it did support us during hard times, helped pay his child support and college expenses for his two kids. We had no children of our own. We've been thru losing our home, filing bankruptcy and some serious, hard long distance moves for him to get another job.

He moved out of the marital home in December of 2012 to take a job out of state after a short bout of unemployment. He did not ask me to move with him, he accepted the job without telling me, cleaned out our joint account behind my back and left.

I know... This is the same tired, stale, trite story many people have lived thru and I am not any different.

I have done a little bit of research on filing a motion for contempt and, accurate or not, part of that advice was to try to determine some basic facts. Is he still working, how is he paying his bills, why isn't he paying me, will he ever pay me again? Of course, he will not answer most of those questions. He says he is now again out of work (the $80k a year job) and a friend is paying his bills. This would be the girlfriend he had before we got divorced - out of state, out of mind.

(I don't care about that, honestly. She is welcome to him but I am sorry he has latched on to another woman who owns her own business and home. He did the same thing to me. I wasn't the first and it looks like I won't be the last. Hindsight IS 20/20.)

He did also say that if I was going to "throw" him "in jail" a "heads up would be nice" so he could "give away his towels". Whatever that means. I don't want him in jail, what good is that for anyone?

At present, he is $2,750 behind in spousal support, I never saw the $2000 lump sum payment in November and he's 3 months behind on the personal loan he was ordered to pay.

Finally to my need for assistance... Filing a Motion for Contempt is the easy part. I will have to do it pro se as I borrowed to pay my divorce attorney and I cannot borrow anymore from anyone.

The hard part is proving my case. Going pro se, how do I gather evidence, witnesses, etc. or am I just dreaming that I even have a chance? Is he required to physically attend a hearing; not sure I want to see him in person. Our divorce was by conference call.

Can I subpeona records or can only an attorney do that?

Thank you for any help.

Ladyback1

when I filed for contempt, (and mine was child support related) all I did was prove he hadn't paid according to the court order. You don't necessarily need to prove he has the means to pay. You have to prove that he hasn't paid, and he knew he was suppose to pay (that he knew about the court order).

My Ex was not physically present in the courtroom--he attended via phone.

At least in my case (and in my state), the "offender" has to prove that they don't have the resources to pay, can't borrow the resources to pay, etc. It was not up to me to prove that he did--although I know he owns a vehicle outright, and I put that in my pleading

Things may be different when you're trying to prove contempt for spousal support. And it may be different per state laws and/or local precedence.

DDQueen

Thank you for the input.

He's behind in spousal support payments, didn't pay the lump sum on time and isn't paying the loan back he was ordered to pay. He has failed to comply with any of the terms of the Marital Settlement Agreement and there were just these 3.

It's easy enough to prove he hasn't paid. I've kept detailed records and copies of all checks, money orders and bank statements. He is well aware of the terms of the Marital Settlement Agreement incorporated by reference in the Final Judgment. There is no way he can claim he didn't know about his Court ordered obligations.

Everything I've read says to have an iron clad case before filing a contempt Motion so I am fearful that I won't be able to gather the evidence, pro se, that I may need to prove my case. Which I why I am posting on here to find out how to get that evidence as someone representing herself.

Bali Hai

The divorce settlement agreed to in August 2013 with my ex-husband calls for $1,100/month in spousal support for 2 years, $2,000/lump sum payment by November 30, 2013 and repayment of a personal loan, his alone, in the sum of $335/month with a $3000.00 balance. We were married for 13 years. I am 59 and wanted a little bit of help getting settled in a less expensive life. I wasn't asking to be supported by him for the rest of my life.

He has had numerous jobs in the years we were married. He is very intelligent and highly skilled in his field. When the settlement was reached he was making $80K a year, I make $29K. I had my own service business for 16 years but ending up losing it because we moved a lot for him to find job after job. I took an office job making $14/hour two years ago and I am still there at $14/hour. He couldn't seem to stay at one job for more than 6-9 months at a time or less but when he does work it's always in the $80K to $100K+ range. While my business didn't make us rich it did support us during hard times, helped pay his child support and college expenses for his two kids. We had no children of our own. We've been thru losing our home, filing bankruptcy and some serious, hard long distance moves for him to get another job.

He moved out of the marital home in December of 2012 to take a job out of state after a short bout of unemployment. He did not ask me to move with him, he accepted the job without telling me, cleaned out our joint account behind my back and left.

I know... This is the same tired, stale, trite story many people have lived thru and I am not any different.

I have done a little bit of research on filing a motion for contempt and, accurate or not, part of that advice was to try to determine some basic facts. Is he still working, how is he paying his bills, why isn't he paying me, will he ever pay me again? Of course, he will not answer most of those questions. He says he is now again out of work (the $80k a year job) and a friend is paying his bills. This would be the girlfriend he had before we got divorced - out of state, out of mind.

(I don't care about that, honestly. She is welcome to him but I am sorry he has latched on to another woman who owns her own business and home. He did the same thing to me. I wasn't the first and it looks like I won't be the last. Hindsight IS 20/20.)

He did also say that if I was going to "throw" him "in jail" a "heads up would be nice" so he could "give away his towels". Whatever that means. I don't want him in jail, what good is that for anyone?

At present, he is $2,750 behind in spousal support, I never saw the $2000 lump sum payment in November and he's 3 months behind on the personal loan he was ordered to pay.

Finally to my need for assistance... Filing a Motion for Contempt is the easy part. I will have to do it pro se as I borrowed to pay my divorce attorney and I cannot borrow anymore from anyone.

The hard part is proving my case. Going pro se, how do I gather evidence, witnesses, etc. or am I just dreaming that I even have a chance? Is he required to physically attend a hearing; not sure I want to see him in person. Our divorce was by conference call.

Thank you for any help.
Do what you think is best darling. I would take my chances with an attorney.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thank you for any help.
http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/self_help/

Proserpina

Thank you for the input.

He's behind in spousal support payments, didn't pay the lump sum on time and isn't paying the loan back he was ordered to pay. He has failed to comply with any of the terms of the Marital Settlement Agreement and there were just these 3.

It's easy enough to prove he hasn't paid. I've kept detailed records and copies of all checks, money orders and bank statements. He is well aware of the terms of the Marital Settlement Agreement incorporated by reference in the Final Judgment. There is no way he can claim he didn't know about his Court ordered obligations.

Everything I've read says to have an iron clad case before filing a contempt Motion so I am fearful that I won't be able to gather the evidence, pro se, that I may need to prove my case. Which I why I am posting on here to find out how to get that evidence as someone representing herself.

Iron-clad isn't really necessary with your type of contempt motion, but a meeting with an attorney - at least initially - will help.

DDQueen

Thank you all for the replies. I feel a bit better knowing iron-clad may not be the rule in my situation. And thank you for the self-help link for Florida, on my way there now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">