• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flalimony

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have submitted paperwork to terminate alimony in Florida. If the other side does not submit the required financial information after 60 days (they are supposed to submit after 45 days) can I submit anything to request the judge to issue a "default"?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What does your order say abotu the duration of alimony and whether/when it can be modified?

flalimony

What does your order say abotu the duration of alimony and whether/when it can be modified?
Duration : Lifetime

When can it be modified : When she marries, or when there is a substantial change in circumstances.

There is a change since I am no longer working.

Proserpina

Duration : Lifetime

When can it be modified : When she marries, or when there is a substantial change in circumstances.

There is a change since I am no longer working.

Were you laid off? Retired?

Did you quit?

Are you disabled?

I'm not trying to pry, but your circumstances do matter.

flalimony

Were you laid off? Retired?

Did you quit?

Are you disabled?

I'm not trying to pry, but your circumstances do matter.
No problem. I was laid off. I have been having some medical issues (2 1/2 years) which I am going to the doctor to try and figure out since I now have time off :(, but the doctors have found things (symptoms) but not the root cause.

Bali Hai

No problem. I was laid off. I have been having some medical issues (2 1/2 years) which I am going to the doctor to try and figure out since I now have time off :(, but the doctors have found things (symptoms) but not the root cause.
You have been obligated by the court to pay lifetime alimony. You were laid off but that's not the courts problem. Your medical problems are secondary. Do you have a life insurance policy with your ex named as irrevocable beneficary?

flalimony

IMHO when a persons health is secondary there is a problem with the system.

I really had issues with my health for 21 years. Those last couple of years has been bad because of all the extra hours and extra jobs i have had to take to pay my ex-wife. She lists on her tax return that she has no other income but she can live well beyond the means i can. She has traveled to south amwrica getting multiple plastic surgeries done, buy nice cars while i live my frugal lifestyle.

BTW i am at the doctors office today. I have three this week. Finding the problem is primary in my eyes. I want to live to see my grands even though the court. Does not.

No i do not have life insurance and i would not make my ex-wife the benificiary....

Typing on my cell, sorry that i have not corrected typos....

I was really trying to find out my options for my ex-wifes's attorney not submitting thee documents requested.

When i got divorced 11 years ago her attorney did the same thing. My attorney said that we could not force her to produce.

I guess my only option is to file option is to file another motion to compel.

Thanks in advance.

Bali Hai

IMHO when a persons health is secondary there is a problem with the system.

I really had issues with my health for 21 years. Those last couple of years has been bad because of all the extra hours and extra jobs i have had to take to pay my ex-wife. She lists on her tax return that she has no other income but she can live well beyond the means i can. She has traveled to south amwrica getting multiple plastic surgeries done, buy nice cars while i live my frugal lifestyle.

BTW i am at the doctors office today. I have three this week. Finding the problem is primary in my eyes. I want to live to see my grands even though the court. Does not.

No i do not have life insurance and i would not make my ex-wife the benificiary....

Typing on my cell, sorry that i have not corrected typos....

I was really trying to find out my options for my ex-wifes's attorney not submitting thee documents requested.

When i got divorced 11 years ago her attorney did the same thing. My attorney said that we could not force her to produce.

I guess my only option is to file option is to file another motion to compel.

Thanks in advance.
You will have your chance to present your information to the judge. You need to keep your alimony payments current. In the meantime, I suggest you take ncchicken's advice and get another job.

tuffbrk

If you filed a motion and your ex does not counter/cross (I don't remember if it's a counter or cross motion that the respondent files), typically the judge will move forward with either a court date (if oral argument was requested) or make a decision based upon the paperwork submitted.

The problem with being laid off is that the courts oftentimes view that as a temporary circumstance. If you are the recipient of severance, don't be surprised if the judge denies your motion without prejudice. Then you can go back when your severance runs out.

For your sake, I hope you submitted at least of ream of paper documenting your employment search, proof of employment applications filed, responses from said potential employers, etc. If you did not, you are most likely not going to get any relief.

I wish you all of the best.

flalimony

If you filed a motion and your ex does not counter/cross (I don't remember if it's a counter or cross motion that the respondent files), typically the judge will move forward with either a court date (if oral argument was requested) or make a decision based upon the paperwork submitted.

The problem with being laid off is that the courts oftentimes view that as a temporary circumstance. If you are the recipient of severance, don't be surprised if the judge denies your motion without prejudice. Then you can go back when your severance runs out.

For your sake, I hope you submitted at least of ream of paper documenting your employment search, proof of employment applications filed, responses from said potential employers, etc. If you did not, you are most likely not going to get any relief.

I wish you all of the best.

Thanks for all the replies. The decision was ruled upon the last time (divorce) was with only my paperwork. My ex-wife did not submit paperwork. I did not have the locations that she worked since it is all under the table. :(. If they move forward without of any of her information they definitely are going to rule in favor for her.

I will submit another motion to compel the production of the documents.

There is no way to keep my Alimony payments current. I do not have the funds to pay her $3000/month to support her. She can let one of her roommates pay the bills.

Yeah I am searching for a job but I am also going to the doctor to find out what is wrong with me. I went to the doctors three times this week. It is hard in my industry since once I start working again I will probably end up in the hospital after working 60+ hours a week. I am not young any more, I can't take that many hours. My last job I had spent 90 hours a week for three weeks straight and my boss could not understand why I was getting sick so much.

I like how this is one sided. The only reason why she was awarded alimony is because she lied about about work history and said she did not speak English. She is fluent in English.

Bali Hai

Thanks for all the replies. The decision was ruled upon the last time (divorce) was with only my paperwork. My ex-wife did not submit paperwork. I did not have the locations that she worked since it is all under the table. :(. If they move forward without of any of her information they definitely are going to rule in favor for her.

I will submit another motion to compel the production of the documents.

There is no way to keep my Alimony payments current. I do not have the funds to pay her $3000/month to support her. She can let one of her roommates pay the bills.

Yeah I am searching for a job but I am also going to the doctor to find out what is wrong with me. I went to the doctors three times this week. It is hard in my industry since once I start working again I will probably end up in the hospital after working 60+ hours a week. I am not young any more, I can't take that many hours. My last job I had spent 90 hours a week for three weeks straight and my boss could not understand why I was getting sick so much.

I like how this is one sided. The only reason why she was awarded alimony is because she lied about about work history and said she did not speak English. She is fluent in English.
The judge determined that she was telling the truth.

tuffbrk

I so hear you about the lies. I was laid off from my employer of 25 yrs, was in and out of the hospital for 13 months with an illness from which I almost died. The NJ courts really couldn't care less that my ex took me back to court for more money. He didn't get more, but I submitted proof that he was working under the table and they didn't care about that either! So it wasn't like I had gotten any relief. Certainly, I couldn't job hunt while I was in and out of the hospital and could hardly walk.

For a while I thought the judges didn't have common sense. Now I realize it is the laws and statutes on the books that compel them to rule as they do. If your attorney doesn't have a clue (I've been through 4 attorneys now - so far, none of them seem to have a clue) then you pretty much are out of luck and need to start researching on your own.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">