• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Cohabitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smd5651

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Florida, and my sister who has several medical issues moved in with me. My ex is saying that I am cohabitating with my sister and he should be able to modify his alimony payments to me. I thought cohabitation was a couple not a blood relative....what is the case law on this issue?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Florida, and my sister who has several medical issues moved in with me. My ex is saying that I am cohabitating with my sister and he should be able to modify his alimony payments to me. I thought cohabitation was a couple not a blood relative....what is the case law on this issue?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This will be thrown out if your ex tries to bring it to court. You are not in a "relationship" with your sister (presumably). You are not holding yourselves out to be a "couple" (presumably). What you have is not "cohabitation" (presumably ;) )

Bali Hai

Is your sister paying rent and helping with the bills? If not, why not??

You expect your ex-husband to now support your sister as well as you??

How is the JOB going??

smd5651

Yes my sister works part time, but cannot drive because of seizure problems and has mobility problems due to a stroke and several hip sugeries. She does rely on me to trasportation and to buy groceries, etc.....but she does make money to pay for her keep. Every time she has a bad siezure she looses a little more mobility on her left side, which eventually will lead to her having to get disability, but for right now she works part time out of the house doing trascriptional work on a computer.

cracker

How is her ex-husband now supporting her sister too? The alimony payments didn't increase when her sister moved in. She can do what she wants and support who she wants with her alimony. What a nasty response.

smd5651

Thank you cracker for your response.. And to answer another question I do work full time, my alimony payments do not pay all of my bills, never has, I have always had to work to suppliment my income to pay all my bills. My main thing is this is the second time I have been served for alimony reduction and while the case is going on I only am getting half of alimony which makes it impossible for me to pay all my bills.

Bali Hai

How is her ex-husband now supporting her sister too? The alimony payments didn't increase when her sister moved in. She can do what she wants and support who she wants with her alimony. What a nasty response.
She can do what she wants, but the alimony payments ordered by the court were with the intent to help support HER, not her sister or her boyfriend or anyone but HER!!

If you think it's ok to take hard earned money from people to just GIVE to others to do what they want with it, you might want to consider moving to Communist China!!

cracker

I'm not going to argue with you over this. It is really nothing to get upset over. The lady said both she and her sister work, and her sister is sick. And it can just as easily be said that the alimony is supporting the ex-wife and the ex-wife's own job is supporting her sister. Anyway, I think it is awfully nice of her to be helping her sister and she should be commended, not condemned. Are you trying to say that people who recieve alimony should not be allowed to help family?

Just Blue

I'm not going to argue with you over this. It is really nothing to get upset over. The lady said both she and her sister work, and her sister is sick. And it can just as easily be said that the alimony is supporting the ex-wife and the ex-wife's own job is supporting her sister. Anyway, I think it is awfully nice of her to be helping her sister and she should be commended, not condemned. Are you trying to say that people who recieve alimony should not be allowed to help family?
Bali was screwed in court and forced to pay SS to his ex. He is INCREDIBLY bitter about this and takes out his anger on this forum. Don't mind him...;)

Bali Hai

I'm not condemning her, I'm condemning her thought process. She doesn't want to lose her alimony, but she wants to do everything possible right up to that line and not crossing it.

People who receive alimony are supposed to be using the money for their own support as ordered by the court, not helping family with the money.

If she can't support herself and needs alimony, she has no business supporting her sister!!

If her ex-husband wants to give her sister some of his money to help her out, then that's HIS decision to make!!

cracker

Sometimes people do deserve nasty responses, and I'm sure I've been one of them, but this is just over the top. CALM DOWN!!!!! She is not your ex.

smd5651

Bali,

Did you not read my response? I said my sister worked and paid her own way. If anything sometimes she helps me when something needs fixing around the house or I run short. My ex is not supporting her in any way shape or form. The house was deeded to me in the divorce, and maybe you would like to know that I was married for 32 yrs, was a stay at home mom for the majority of those years, only have a high school diploma and had no career...when I worked for my ex when he owned a business I didn't recieve pay because I didn't need any....I had an old fashion marriage because of our ages...and he had a two year affair with a co-worker who is 15 yrs younger than he, he left me, not the other way around...and ******************************************....married less than 6 weeks after the divorce was final. I was devestated and was under pschological care to 8 months. I have had to learn to be on my own, I took care of his dying monther in my home, his dying Grandfather, and the list goes on. You need to stop being so angry,,,anger turns inward and ruins all your relationships with other family members. You need to learn to forgive and get on with your life. I AM JUST TRYING TO SURVIVE AND KEEP MY HOME, AND PAY MY BILLS.

LdiJ

Bali,

Did you not read my response? I said my sister worked and paid her own way. If anything sometimes she helps me when something needs fixing around the house or I run short. My ex is not supporting her in any way shape or form. The house was deeded to me in the divorce, and maybe you would like to know that I was married for 32 yrs, was a stay at home mom for the majority of those years, only have a high school diploma and had no career...when I worked for my ex when he owned a business I didn't recieve pay because I didn't need any....I had an old fashion marriage because of our ages...and he had a two year affair with a co-worker who is 15 yrs younger than he, he left me, not the other way around...and ******************************************....married less than 6 weeks after the divorce was final. I was devestated and was under pschological care to 8 months. I have had to learn to be on my own, I took care of his dying monther in my home, his dying Grandfather, and the list goes on. You need to stop being so angry,,,anger turns inward and ruins all your relationships with other family members. You need to learn to forgive and get on with your life. I AM JUST TRYING TO SURVIVE AND KEEP MY HOME, AND PAY MY BILLS.
Hon, Bali's response to that will be that he will consider you to have been a lazy azz for sponging off your husband instead of building your own career. Don't even try to argue with him, he is so incredibly bitter than he cannot acknowledge any situation in which alimony is appropriate. He would also say that you shouldn't have received the house, because you didn't work and pay half of the mortgage.

Just ignore him.

Bali Hai

Bali,

Did you not read my response? I said my sister worked and paid her own way. If anything sometimes she helps me when something needs fixing around the house or I run short. My ex is not supporting her in any way shape or form. The house was deeded to me in the divorce, and maybe you would like to know that I was married for 32 yrs, was a stay at home mom for the majority of those years, only have a high school diploma and had no career...when I worked for my ex when he owned a business I didn't recieve pay because I didn't need any....

Everything you posted below this point is irrelevant.

I had an old fashion marriage because of our ages...

This line is what every wife and her attorney tells the judge to get an alimony award!! Hearing it again makes me SICK!!:eek:

and he had a two year affair with a co-worker who is 15 yrs younger than he, he left me, not the other way around...and ******************************************....married less than 6 weeks after the divorce was final. I was devestated and was under pschological care to 8 months. I have had to learn to be on my own, I took care of his dying monther in my home, his dying Grandfather, and the list goes on. You need to stop being so angry,,,anger turns inward and ruins all your relationships with other family members. You need to learn to forgive and get on with your life. I AM JUST TRYING TO SURVIVE AND KEEP MY HOME, AND PAY MY BILLS.
Sounds like you got a good deal. A house, alimony and a sister that helps support you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">