• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Short term marriage Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Serdna5613

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl.

I have been married for 6 years and 9 months . Since my wife moved with me in Minnesota, she never wanted to work, things didn't get better after the only baby came (too soon but I love her). Even though I was going to school at the beginning when we got married, she did not work, she tried home business without success. After school y income increased, so she really did not want to work.
Well after a few years she decided that she wanted to move back to her native Florida, I thought that she would be happier and the marriage will improve...did not happen, she got stronger with support of her friends and family.
My income decreased in 60% when I moved to Florida, had to short sale my home in Mn., and change our life style.

She promised to work as soon the baby started kinder garden 6-months ago...did not.

Finally I got tired and decided to divorce, what kind of alimony is she entitled?

I offered to help her for a year by paying her rent, groceries, credit cards (we both used them in the past),gas, health insurance, and car .
payment(until paid off). She wants more...:(

I don't have a problem paying the child support whatever the law requires.
Love my daughter that's why I stayed married and moved to Florida.

Thanks

ARod

mistoffolees

I have been married for 6 years and 9 months . Since my wife moved with me in Minnesota, she never wanted to work, things didn't get better after the only baby came (too soon but I love her). Even though I was going to school at the beginning when we got married, she did not work, she tried home business without success. After school y income increased, so she really did not want to work.
Well after a few years she decided that she wanted to move back to her native Florida, I thought that she would be happier and the marriage will improve...did not happen, she got stronger with support of her friends and family.
My income decreased in 60% when I moved to Florida, had to short sale my home in Mn., and change our life style.

She promised to work as soon the baby started kinder garden 6-months ago...did not.

Finally I got tired and decided to divorce, what kind of alimony is she entitled?

I offered to help her for a year by paying her rent, groceries, credit cards (we both used them in the past),gas, health insurance, and car .

Thanks

ARod
For most states, predicting alimony is difficult. That is especially true in FL. This link explains some of the factors:
Alimony | Calculations for Alimony Payments | Alimony Calculator | Modification of Permanent Alimony

It's really going to come down to the judge that you get. I would advise consulting with a local attorney (many attorneys will give you a free initial consultation or I believe FL has a low-cost consultation program).

Factors that would work to mitigate alimony:
- Short marriage. Typically, alimony becomes more of an issue around 10 years, although it is certainly sometimes awarded for shorter marriages
- Wife is capable of working, so you could ask for an income to be imputed to her
- Your lower income will be considered since it was a joint decision to move to FL.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, but off the top of my head, your proposal sounds more than reasonable. Note, however, that you should be careful when you consider the credit cards in alimony. Any existing debt is marital and you already owe half. You should make sure that the agreement is worded properly - alimony is deductible to you if it is set up properly, so you need to make sure that the agreement is worded in such a way that your payment of her half of the credit cards will be alimony and not property division. And, of course, make sure that there are no future charges. Close the accounts and/or block them so that there can be no future charges.

Bali Hai

Thanks

ARod
She isn't "entitled" to any kind of alimony. The judge may "award" her some kind of alimony based on your circumstances as misto said.

FL is one of the top alimony states, expect to pay some. You married your wife for better or worse, this is the worse part.

mistoffolees

She isn't "entitled" to any kind of alimony. The judge may "award" her some kind of alimony based on your circumstances as misto said.

FL is one of the top alimony states, expect to pay some. You married your wife for better or worse, this is the worse part.
I wouldn't expect that at all. While he might pay some, the site I provided says that for a 7 year marriage, alimony is unlikely. In OP's position, I would certainly be fighting NOT to pay alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">