• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forfeiting my parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tucker

I live in wisconsin, I have 2 kids from a previous marriage that I never see. I am currently married with 1 child and another on the way. I can no longer afford to pay child support and my kids hate me anyways so- if I give up my parental rights as a father, I would not only never see them again, but would I still have to pay child support?
-tucker

N

Nee

NY: If you relinquish your parental rights, you still must pay the child support ordered. After all, many fathers who couldn't care less about their children or having any contact with them would gladly evade their child support obligations if simply allowed to "relinquish" their parental rights and thus cancel their support payments! Fortunately, the lawin all states correctly does not allow the termination of child support before emancipation of the children unless the children are in the process of being adopted, and the father has consented thereto in writing.In short, rather than increase our welfare rolls, it should be the biological father who supports the children and not the taxpayers, whether he chooses to see them or not.

T

tucker

My kids are a FAR step from being on welfare, and it should not be the father's place to support them, when the father is a step from welfare himself. With a ex who makes 90T a year and a 6bed house with 4 baths and my kids have a go cart and a snowmobile and wear all nike apparel, while I have MS, can barely hold a job down, with a 1 year old and a pregnant high risk wife, who only shops off the clearance RACK!!!!! My ex, constantly reminds me that she doesn't need my money she just takes it because she can.

G

Grandma B

tucker said:
My kids are a FAR step from being on welfare, and it should not be the father's place to support them, when the father is a step from welfare himself. With a ex who makes 90T a year and a 6bed house with 4 baths and my kids have a go cart and a snowmobile and wear all nike apparel, while I have MS, can barely hold a job down, with a 1 year old and a pregnant high risk wife, who only shops off the clearance RACK!!!!! My ex, constantly reminds me that she doesn't need my money she just takes it because she can.
It doesn't matter how well your children live; you, as their biological father, have an obligation to contribute to their support. It's unbelievable that you said "it should not be the father's place to support them." Who do you think should support them???

I'm sorry about your physical/medical problems. With MS and the inability to maintain employment, why in the world would you choose to father yet two additional children when you admittedly can't afford to help support the two you already had.

It is not your ex's fault that you are incapacitated, or that your pregnant wife is high risk, and shops off the clearance rack.

I don't mean to sound harsh; you are carrying a heavy load. However, it might help to do some soul searching and stop blaming everything on your ex just because things have gone well for her. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">