• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud To Collect Large Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TOMINTROUBLE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I was divorced in 2004, was married for 16 years, unfortunately I did not show for the hearing, nor did I have representation. That gave the ex and her attorney the freedom to go for blood, and they got it. Permenant alimony at the tune of 1000 per month for life. The issue at large is that they mispresented (fraud) my earned income for our 16 years of marriage by double. thats right doubled it, also they made ourlifestyle or standard of living as you would say it to be that of the rich and famous. okay, now for the issue, I left the state of Florida, to seek a better job, was gone for some 28 months, left no forwarding address, the ex filed a contempt of court, won it and found me, there is now a writ of bodily attachment on me with a purge of 28000, and also my pay is now garnished to the tune of 1000 per month. I've been fighting this in court (pro se) for some 5 months now, trying to get the judge to re hear the case. Her attorney, is keeping it from trial, of course he is an attorney and knows what he is doing, I do not, but am trying my best in a modification of alimony petition, now my question is...can I take her to criminal court? she commited fraud in our divorce case, I have rock solid proof that she did. and file charges against her for fraud to collect monies at a higher rate then should have been given. I agree some alimony would have been awarded, the great state of Fl has the worst alimony laws known to mankind, But now it's a hardhip on me to pay the 1000 per month and also is totallly wrong..any ideas????

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No you don't. Quite frankly you weren't there. How do you know she committed fraud? You could have appealed the judgment way back when. You didn't. What you did is you left the state with a court order hanging over your head that you decided to ignore. You are long past the time when you can appeal this. YOu owe the money and are stuck because you didn't care then.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I was divorced in 2004, was married for 16 years, unfortunately I did not show for the hearing, nor did I have representation. That gave the ex and her attorney the freedom to go for blood, and they got it. Permenant alimony at the tune of 1000 per month for life. The issue at large is that they mispresented (fraud) my earned income for our 16 years of marriage by double. thats right doubled it, also they made ourlifestyle or standard of living as you would say it to be that of the rich and famous. okay, now for the issue, I left the state of Florida, to seek a better job, was gone for some 28 months, left no forwarding address, the ex filed a contempt of court, won it and found me, there is now a writ of bodily attachment on me with a purge of 28000, and also my pay is now garnished to the tune of 1000 per month. I've been fighting this in court (pro se) for some 5 months now, trying to get the judge to re hear the case. Her attorney, is keeping it from trial, of course he is an attorney and knows what he is doing, I do not, but am trying my best in a modification of alimony petition, now my question is...can I take her to criminal court? she commited fraud in our divorce case, I have rock solid proof that she did. and file charges against her for fraud to collect monies at a higher rate then should have been given. I agree some alimony would have been awarded, the great state of Fl has the worst alimony laws known to mankind, But now it's a hardhip on me to pay the 1000 per month and also is totallly wrong..any ideas????
There is a Florida law though COULD HAVE helped you, however, you can't use that law because you did NOT appear at the original final hearing. By not appearing, you affectively waived your rights to any relief, even for fraud.

You might as well accept that you'll have to pay, and please learn from your mistake- never, ever let any hearing go by without appearing and making an attempt to defend yourself. When you do that, you have alot of rights to file for relief, but when you do not appear, you have no rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">