• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good News / Bad News

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuffbrk

Ch 2 News reported this morning that marriages are down 20+% and that those that are marrying are older - close to 30yo for males, close to 27yo for females. Consider how many in this age group were children of divorce...

Bali Hai

Ch 2 News reported this morning that marriages are down 20+% and that those that are marrying are older - close to 30yo for males, close to 27yo for females. Consider how many in this age group were children of divorce...
It appears currently that females favor marriage over males. But both are leaning toward just living together instead of making a legal contract.

The state stands to lose revenue if this trend continues. It will have to pay welfare instead of forcing alimony on someone.

This might bring back common law marriage statutes across the country.

tuffbrk

I hadn't thought of the welfare aspect. Good point. Although if there aren't any children, it may be difficult for some to obtain welfare. Gasp! They may actually have to work and support themselves.

Bali Hai

I hadn't thought of the welfare aspect. Good point. Although if there aren't any children, it may be difficult for some to obtain welfare. Gasp! They may actually have to work and support themselves.
The state should use the same logic for alimony.

tuffbrk

That's asking way too much. I was a ward of the courts and then became a Social Security recipient. Once you were done with school, they were done with you. Not even one extra month so you could find a full time job or put some money towards security on an apt. I had a job but had to be careful how much I earned or I had to pay back social security. Yet Family court demands you to provide for a grown adult.

Go figure. When someone else is paying, it's easy to make awards. Just the fact that there isn't an alimony calculation on the books anywhere in the year 2011 is ridiculous and says a great deal about the loss of personal freedoms we have as citizens.

mistoffolees

That's asking way too much. I was a ward of the courts and then became a Social Security recipient. Once you were done with school, they were done with you. Not even one extra month so you could find a full time job or put some money towards security on an apt. I had a job but had to be careful how much I earned or I had to pay back social security. Yet Family court demands you to provide for a grown adult.

Go figure. When someone else is paying, it's easy to make awards. Just the fact that there isn't an alimony calculation on the books anywhere in the year 2011 is ridiculous and says a great deal about the loss of personal freedoms we have as citizens.
There are, of course, two (or more) sides to every story.

While I agree that an alimony calculator would be helpful, I don't see it as being as clear cut as child support. There are too many factors to consider. But, in any event, I would prefer that the couple who chose to get married be responsible for themselves rather than dumping each other on the taxpayers.

Bali Hai

There are, of course, two (or more) sides to every story.

While I agree that an alimony calculator would be helpful, I don't see it as being as clear cut as child support. There are too many factors to consider. But, in any event, I would prefer that the couple who chose to get married be responsible for themselves rather than dumping each other on the taxpayers.
You just don't get it, do you? It is exactly this kind of thinking that drives people away from marriage. When people divorce, they expect to be free of ALL ties with their former spouse. People like you (the state) make that nearly impossible. Easy no-fault divorces with heavy alimony penalties are what you (the state) prefer. Well you don't get the luxury of BOTH. That's a very good reason to never get married in the first place and the word is spreading.

tuffbrk

In any other area of contract law, other than marriage, if a contract is rescinded or reached its term, services are no longer performed and thus payments cease.

I don't disagree that there are instances that alimony is appropriate but there is no compelling reason whatsoever for alimony to continue past retirement or SS in any case.

To see how "off track" some judges go, how punitive and indifferent some can be, peruse these at your leasure:

www.floridaalimonyreform.com/horror_stories.html[URL]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">