• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ground to stop Spousal support (TEXAS)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UpsteDad1977

This is regarding Texas Spousal Support.
I need to know what grounds can I seek to have spousal support stopped.
My ex Wife (soon to be) has moved her boyfriend in with her. She says he hasn't but hes moved his couches into the house and even a TV.

Silverplum

My ex Wife (soon to be) has moved her boyfriend in with her. She says he hasn't but hes moved his couches into the house and even a TV.
What does your court order state on the subject of modifying the spousal support?

Proserpina

Has he actually changed his address?

Can you prove that?

Does your order even allow for modification?

garrula lingua

Are you paying temporary maintenance ?

The most the court should have ordered is two years' worth of maintenance ... what does your divorce decree say ?

Silverplum

How do you come up with that length of time? There's hardly enough info, IMO.
Clearly, I'm not the fabulous garrula lingua, but I was reading yesterday that the max in TX for SS is 3 years, IF the marriage lasted longer than 10 years. The OP mentions this is his soon-to-be-X, so I guess he is speaking of temporary SS; perhaps that is limited to 2 years in TX.

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/texas/txfaq01

http://research.lawyers.com/Texas/Divorce-in-Texas.html

LdiJ

How do you know that the couches and TV were not a gift to her?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Clearly, I'm not the fabulous garrula lingua, but I was reading yesterday that the max in TX for SS is 3 years, IF the marriage lasted longer than 10 years. The OP mentions this is his soon-to-be-X, so I guess he is speaking of temporary SS; perhaps that is limited to 2 years in TX.

Texas Divorce Frequently Asked Questions — DivorceNet

http://research.lawyers.com/Texas/Divorce-in-Texas.html

Well.... according to Alimony/Maintenance/Spousal Support in a Texas Divorce , where the TX code regarding Maintenance is posted:

Sec. 8.054. DURATION OF MAINTENANCE ORDER. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a court:

(1) may not order maintenance that remains in effect for more than three years after the date of the order; and

(2) shall limit the duration of a maintenance order to the shortest reasonable period that allows the spouse seeking maintenance to meet the spouse's minimum reasonable needs by obtaining appropriate employment or developing an appropriate skill, unless the ability of the spouse to provide for the spouse's minimum reasonable needs through employment is substantially or totally diminished because of:

(A) physical or mental disability;

(B) duties as the custodian of an infant or young child; or

(C) another compelling impediment to gainful employment.

(b) If a spouse seeking maintenance is unable to support himself or herself through appropriate employment because the spouse has an incapacitating physical or mental disability or because the spouse is the custodian of a child of the marriage of any age who has a physical or mental disability, the court may order maintenance for as long as the disability continues. The court may order periodic review of its order, on the request of either party or on its own motion, to determine whether the disability continues to render the spouse unable to support himself or herself through appropriate employment. The continuation of spousal maintenance under these circumstances is subject to a motion to modify as provided by Section 8.057.
OP has not provided enough information to determine whether subsection (b) applies or not.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

Texas is notorious for being tough on spousal maintenance. They just don't like it.

@Stealth: Garrula is also licensed to practice in TX.

CourtClerk

Are you paying temporary maintenance ?

The most the court should have ordered is two years' worth of maintenance ... what does your divorce decree say ?
Completely off topic, but when you were in CA, you used to appear at CCW in front of Commissioner Taubert, didn't you?

He's retiring... I'm sad.:(

(sorry everyone).. now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

garrula lingua

Completely off topic, but when you were in CA, you used to appear at CCW in front of Commissioner Taubert, didn't you?

He's retiring... I'm sad.:(

(sorry everyone).. now back to our regularly scheduled topic.
I love Nick!
I had gone to criminal before he became a Commissioner; (I have a beautiful present he gave me).
Nick is really a great guy.
CCW will miss him.

Hey, you've got me pegged!
PM me and tell me: Who are you working for ?

Last edited:

garrula lingua

Texas Divorce Frequently Asked Questions — DivorceNet

Divorce in Texas - Lawyers.com
Obviously, Silverplum is clearly more fabulous than I.
She's right, and I'm wrong.

The normal max is three years.
I'm in an area where the Judges only order temporary maintenance, nothing in the final decree (they may distribute the assets slightly to female's favor; forget maintenance for men in this area).

A Tx Judge has discretion to order longer maintenance, but it is rarely done - similar to ordering child support for life: can be done, but standard of proving disability/need is steep & is very uncommon.

Tx, apparently, sees alimony as only a 're-education to allow full employment' sort of issue.
The period of 'maintenance' (3 yrs) was considered the amount of time a spouse needed to become self-supporting.

UpsteDad1977

Well.... according to Alimony/Maintenance/Spousal Support in a Texas Divorce , where the TX code regarding Maintenance is posted:

OP has not provided enough information to determine whether subsection (b) applies or not.

(b) doesn't apply. she just lazy.

as for the couches she has admitted that they are his, and she has also admitted that hes a drug dealer, and our truck that see was awarded in the temp orders was repo'ed yesterday, and is now telling me that she is going to sue me and take my paid off car that she gave me because she paid for it with a settlement but I have several witnesses that she gave me the car long before she decided to leave me. I also have witness to where she said she hasn't wanted to be with me for the last 3 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">