• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tami S

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Are there any grounds for annulment in the State of Nevada? My husband and I were together for one and a half years prior to getting married, and he never showed any signs of physical violence. We have been married for one month, and he has already beat me twice. I wouldn't have married him had I seen this side of him before. Is this grounds for annulment, or do I have to file for divorce? If I do file for divorce, is he entitled to my retirement or anything else that was mine prior to the marriage, since we were married for only a month? I was in a car accident in Jan. 05 and am expecting a settlement this month, which I think is a big reason he chose to marry me. Will he have any rights to this money? He has worked off and on the whole time we have been together, mostly in under the table jobs. Does the fact that he shows virtually no income work for or against me? Will he be able to file for spousal support from me? I don't know if this makes a difference, but we have no children together. I have 3 children from a previous marriage that I have joint custody of (no child support on either side) and he has one child from a previous marriage that he has joint custody of (no child support on either side.) Thanks for your help.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Are there any grounds for annulment in the State of Nevada?
yes
My husband and I were together for one and a half years prior to getting married, and he never showed any signs of physical violence. We have been married for one month, and he has already beat me twice.
Then leave and file for divorce.
I wouldn't have married him had I seen this side of him before. Is this grounds for annulment, or do I have to file for divorce?
see above.
If I do file for divorce, is he entitled to my retirement or anything else that was mine prior to the marriage, since we were married for only a month?
that depends.
I was in a car accident in Jan. 05 and am expecting a settlement this month, which I think is a big reason he chose to marry me. Will he have any rights to this money?
Again, that depends.
He has worked off and on the whole time we have been together, mostly in under the table jobs. Does the fact that he shows virtually no income work for or against me?
and yet again, that depends.
Will he be able to file for spousal support from me?
and yet one more time, that depends.
I don't know if this makes a difference, but we have no children together. I have 3 children from a previous marriage that I have joint custody of (no child support on either side) and he has one child from a previous marriage that he has joint custody of (no child support on either side.) Thanks for your help.
do number two above.

Tami S

If there are grounds for annulment in Nevada, does my situation qualify? I'd rather not go through another divorce. Plus, I know he'll do everything he can to make it absolute Hell. So, if possible, I'd rather get the marriage annulled. How do I find out if I have a valid reason, and how do I go about doing it?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If there are grounds for annulment in Nevada, does my situation qualify? I'd rather not go through another divorce. Plus, I know he'll do everything he can to make it absolute Hell. So, if possible, I'd rather get the marriage annulled. How do I find out if I have a valid reason, and how do I go about doing it?
You do not have grounds for an annullment. Go for a divorce.

Tami S

You do not have grounds for an annullment. Go for a divorce.

Does he have a right to my retirement and to the settlement I am about to receive? Someone else answered "It depends" but depends on what? I have to use the money from my settlement to have neurosurgery and will probably end up having to pay some of the surgery costs out of my own pocket. Will a Judge take that into consideration, or will he be entitled to half that money after only a month of marriage? Sorry if I sound naive, but I didn't have to worry about any of this in my first divorce. Neither one of us was vindictive, but my current husband is very much so.

seniorjudge

Does he have a right to my retirement and to the settlement I am about to receive? Someone else answered "It depends" but depends on what? I have to use the money from my settlement to have neurosurgery and will probably end up having to pay some of the surgery costs out of my own pocket. Will a Judge take that into consideration, or will he be entitled to half that money after only a month of marriage? Sorry if I sound naive, but I didn't have to worry about any of this in my first divorce. Neither one of us was vindictive, but my current husband is very much so.
You really need a lawyer; there is too much at stake.

LdiJ

I will reiterate that you absolutely NEED an attorney. Most likely he won't be able to make any claims on any of your assets, but you absolutely NEED an attorney to protect your interests.

Since your settlement is specifically for medical expenses that need to be incurred in the future, an attorney can definitely make sure that he can't touch that.

Go see one first thing tommorrow, and get the ball rolling immediately. DO NOT delay. Find someplace else to stay in the meantime, even if you have to go to a shelter.

Tami S

You really need a lawyer; there is too much at stake.
That's what I was afraid of. Any tips on finding a reasonably priced lawyer? After my accident, I had to give up my 2nd job due to chronic pain, and since my husband hasn't really worked steadily, we are way behind on everything. The settlement will cover the surgery costs if I'm lucky, but there won't be much left. Will I have to pay all the costs of the attorney, since I am the one filing, or will my husband be responsible for half?

seniorjudge

That's what I was afraid of. Any tips on finding a reasonably priced lawyer? After my accident, I had to give up my 2nd job due to chronic pain, and since my husband hasn't really worked steadily, we are way behind on everything. The settlement will cover the surgery costs if I'm lucky, but there won't be much left. Will I have to pay all the costs of the attorney, since I am the one filing, or will my husband be responsible for half?
Call the state bar and ask for a referral.

Tami S

Thank you all for your responses. I kind of figured this is what it would boil down to, but I was hoping there was some easier way. Oh well. Thanks again, everyone.

Bali Hai

That's what I was afraid of. Any tips on finding a reasonably priced lawyer? After my accident, I had to give up my 2nd job due to chronic pain,

Oh pleeze!! People work with chronic pain and with chronic pain in the asses all the time.

and since my husband hasn't really worked steadily, we are way behind on everything.

He only did what you would do. The only difference is that the court won't let him get away with that.

The settlement will cover the surgery costs if I'm lucky, but there won't be much left. Will I have to pay all the costs of the attorney, since I am the one filing, or will my husband be responsible for half?
That's up to the judge, you poor thing.

Tami S

Oh pleeze!! People work with chronic pain and with chronic pain in the asses all the time.

That's up to the judge, you poor thing.
I didn't say I quit working. I said I had to give up my second job due to chronic pain. The type of work I was doing was impossible with the type of injury I have, but I have maintained a 40+ hour/week job since the accident.

CJane

I didn't say I quit working. I said I had to give up my second job due to chronic pain. The type of work I was doing was impossible with the type of injury I have, but I have maintained a 40+ hour/week job since the accident.
You'll have to ignore Bali. He's a wee bit bitter.

Tami S

You'll have to ignore Bali. He's a wee bit bitter.
Thanks. I wasn't trying to sound like a whiny victim. I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best next step.

I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow, but I also found a website by a NV attorney that does annulments for about the same price as a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">