• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He left me with nothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wendy76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas. What happens to someone who has been a stay at home wife for 13 years, and now has to pay the mortgage, and the new car note?? He left me with no health insurance and he cheated on me??

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Texas. What happens to someone who has been a stay at home wife for 13 years, and now has to pay the mortgage, and the new car note?? He left me with no health insurance and he cheated on me??
They need to find a job.

Texas awards spousal maintenance in very limited circumstances and both the amount and the duration are capped (3 years, irrc), and the marriage must be of 10 years ore longer.

You should speak to an attorney, but your priority needs to be finding a job to support yourself.

Wendy76

I know I have to seek an attorney. Im sure most people on here need to seek legal help, I was just on here to maybe get a glimpse of what I was up against. What I'm to expect.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I know I have to seek an attorney. Im sure most people on here need to seek legal help, I was just on here to maybe get a glimpse of what I was up against. What I'm to expect.
Okay, let me simplify it. If you get spousal maintenance, it will be for 3 years max. and the amount will be capped at 20% of his salary at best and there's an decent chance that you won't be awarded anything at all because you seem to be an adult who is capable of supporting herself.

Wendy76

I've read from several sites that it is 5 years max in Texas, and I have a good chance of getting it because I have been a house wife the whole 13 years we were married. 20% would be sufficient since hemakes 80,000.00 a year. I'm just concerned about my house, and my car, that gets me to my new found job.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sell the house as part of the divorce, if you can't make the mortgage payments. Is your name even on the house/mortgage?

Wendy76

OMG, I hope someone with REAL legal knowledge or experience can lend me insight, and not women haters on here trying to disillusion women on this site???

I'mTheFather

OMG, I hope someone with REAL legal knowledge or experience can lend me insight, and not women haters on here trying to disillusion women on this site???
"Women haters," that's funny.

The reality is bound to be disillusioning to you. Even if you get 5 years of maintenance, how will you afford the house in year 6? Sell the house, keep the car, and gear up for a lifestyle change.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I'm sorry, you seem to have typed in the wrong URL. This is not actually pleasetellmewhatiwanttohear.com.

You are apparently able to work full time. The court WILL take that into consideration, and the court WILL take into account your poor ex's situation; they won't leave him in poverty to keep a roof over your head.

You're most welcome.

Sincerely

A FEMALE volunteer.

Wendy76

My name is on the mortgage, and he just got the house on an FHA in Feb 2016, we won't be able to sell the House for 4 more years. Will the court's make me move out of I can't afford the payments??

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
My name is on the mortgage, and he just got the house on an FHA in Feb 2016, we won't be able to sell the House for 4 more years. Will the court's make me move out of I can't afford the payments??
Who is on the deed? Not the mortgage - the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">