• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richhart

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
As part of my divorce decree, I am ordered to pay for my wife's Health Insurance. I've been paying it for 10 years now and was wondering if I should be entitled to her Obmacare subsidy since I'm the one paying for the insurance. If not, it seems that she's getting paid twice for the insurance, once by me and once by Obamacare.

As a follow-up, how can I go about finding out how much or whether she's receiving this subsidy?

Thanks for your advice.

Rich

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If she is not paying for insurance on her own, she is not getting a subsidy.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
As part of my divorce decree, I am ordered to pay for my wife's Health Insurance. I've been paying it for 10 years now and was wondering if I should be entitled to her Obmacare subsidy since I'm the one paying for the insurance. If not, it seems that she's getting paid twice for the insurance, once by me and once by Obamacare.

As a follow-up, how can I go about finding out how much or whether she's receiving this subsidy?

Thanks for your advice.

Rich
How are you paying for the health insurance? Is she paying for it and you are reimbursing her?...or is there some other way its being handled?

If she purchased her insurance through the exchange and is receiving a subsidy it would simply reduce the cost of the insurance. She would not be getting any kind of extra payment. There is a reconciliation on ones tax return if insurance is being purchased on the exchange, but that is to reconcile the subsidy by any variation in income.

However, if you have been paying for the insurance for 10 years, its kind of unlikely that she purchased it through the exchange. If she did not, then there is no subsidy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">