• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raider

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California , hello , I am currently paying spousal support , I have found out that my ex is living with her boyfriend romantically , as she stated on her declaration , is that enough proof of cohabitation ? And will it terminate my court ordered obligations ?:cool:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California , hello , I am currently paying spousal support , I have found out that my ex is living with her boyfriend romantically , as she stated on her declaration , is that enough proof of cohabitation ? And will it terminate my court ordered obligations ?:cool:

It depends.

What's the exact wording of your order regarding cohabitation, and what do you mean by "she stated on her declaration"?

Bali Hai

Cohabitation laws are very ambiguous and just pay lip service without teeth to the alimony payor.

Usually the person receiving the alimony knows where the threshold lies regarding cohabitation and will not cross it putting the alimony at risk.

Contact a local attorney.

mistoffolees

Cohabitation laws are very ambiguous and just pay lip service without teeth to the alimony payor.

Usually the person receiving the alimony knows where the threshold lies regarding cohabitation and will not cross it putting the alimony at risk.

Contact a local attorney.
OP, this is not necessarily true. Tell us what your order says about alimony (word for word, but without the names) and also what evidence you have that ex is cohabiting.

But I must note - this is the first time Bali posted his diatribe in a gender-neutral form. We're making progress.

Bali Hai

OP, this is not necessarily true. Tell us what your order says about alimony (word for word, but without the names) and also what evidence you have that ex is cohabiting.

But I must note - this is the first time Bali posted his diatribe in a gender-neutral form. We're making progress.
Why thank you very much misto. I'm getting almost as good at tip-toeing around reality as everyone else here. Afterall, I've had expert mentors in this area. Besides, one has to go with the crowd here or be banned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">