• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, confused on how to proceed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I have a hearing in a little less than a month where I am the Plantiff and the judge will be considering two issues. A contempt of court of defendent for non payment for over 3 yrs. And a request of Defendent's attorney to Modify Degree of Dissolution as to spousal maintenance. (Citing a "substantial and continuing change in circumstances that would warrant termination of the Spousal Maintenance Order effective the month alimony began!). Because he was determined disabled approved by SS about a year after divorce. Although his submission to SS for the first time wasnt until late last year.

The defendent did did not file a financial affidavit to the court when the divorce occured. The defendent signed and agreed to all that was in the divorce documents including the amount I put in for alimony. He was not at the courthouse when the judge made her ruling. And the judge at that time, because of MY long term disability, ordered it indefinitely by the law.

The current judge requested (among other things, proof of disability, etc) , in a minute entry "that both parties are directed to provide a plan concerning the following situations:
1. whether the spousal mainentance amount is terminated and if so, what payments shall be made toward past due amounts.
2. If the spousal maintenance is reduced or maintained, what additional payments over and above the existing order should be made to pay back the past due amounts."

I have found a copy of a pay stub when we were seperated that was used for that tax year and the tax documents the year before the divorce was finalized. Which only shows a difference of NET income of $200 he has lost. (money made monthly then at a job and net he is receiving from SS as of this year month to month. I do not believe this is a substantial change. BUT how do I go about submitting this evidence? Does it fall under "discovery" and how exactly should I submit it to the court. Do I need to supply a copy to opposing counsel before the hearing? BELIEVE me I have researched and have become very frustrated on finding templates or discovery examples. I have been to the courthouse library, court records, and read and reread Trial Preparation for Family for AZ. And Im getting nowhere. I can't afford an attorney so I am doing this alone. I do not want to lose this simply because of a technically that I did not follow.

And is there some document I need to file to provide a "plan concerning..." that the judge ordered. What would that be called?

Any constructive help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I have a hearing in a little less than a month where I am the Plantiff and the judge will be considering two issues. A contempt of court of defendent for non payment for over 3 yrs. And a request of Defendent's attorney to Modify Degree of Dissolution as to spousal maintenance. (Citing a "substantial and continuing change in circumstances that would warrant termination of the Spousal Maintenance Order effective the month alimony began!). Because he was determined disabled approved by SS about a year after divorce. Although his submission to SS for the first time wasnt until late last year.

The defendent did did not file a financial affidavit to the court when the divorce occured. The defendent signed and agreed to all that was in the divorce documents including the amount I put in for alimony. He was not at the courthouse when the judge made her ruling. And the judge at that time, because of MY long term disability, ordered it indefinitely by the law.

The current judge requested (among other things, proof of disability, etc) , in a minute entry "that both parties are directed to provide a plan concerning the following situations:
1. whether the spousal mainentance amount is terminated and if so, what payments shall be made toward past due amounts.
2. If the spousal maintenance is reduced or maintained, what additional payments over and above the existing order should be made to pay back the past due amounts."

I have found a copy of a pay stub when we were seperated that was used for that tax year and the tax documents the year before the divorce was finalized. Which only shows a difference of NET income of $200 he has lost. (money made monthly then at a job and net he is receiving from SS as of this year month to month. I do not believe this is a substantial change. BUT how do I go about submitting this evidence? Does it fall under "discovery" and how exactly should I submit it to the court. Do I need to supply a copy to opposing counsel before the hearing? BELIEVE me I have researched and have become very frustrated on finding templates or discovery examples. I have been to the courthouse library, court records, and read and reread Trial Preparation for Family for AZ. And Im getting nowhere. I can't afford an attorney so I am doing this alone. I do not want to lose this simply because of a technically that I did not follow.

And is there some document I need to file to provide a "plan concerning..." that the judge ordered. What would that be called?

Any constructive help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Just to clarify:

He qualified for SSDI and was determined to be disabled from the year after the divorce?

If you are this lost, then I don't see how you can afford NOT to have an attorney.
I do not believe I am too lost. For the most part I am trying to find the correct forms to submit to the court. I wish I could get an attorney but it would take 2 months of my total income just to afford the retainer. And the main state "free legal" help does not represent Alimony cases. I was the one to file divorce paperwork, and request to enforce, went to one hearing on this and I did very well.

Your comment although realistic, makes me feel anxious now because now I feel all maybe lost.

Silverplum

I do not believe I am too lost. For the most part I am trying to find the correct forms to submit to the court. I wish I could get an attorney but it would take 2 months of my total income just to afford the retainer. And the main state "free legal" help does not represent Alimony cases. I was the one to file divorce paperwork, and request to enforce, went to one hearing on this and I did very well.

Your comment although realistic, makes me feel anxious now because now I feel all maybe lost.
Have you tried calling attorneys in your area to see if any are available for an hour's consultation?

Just to clarify:

He qualified for SSDI and was determined to be disabled from the year after the divorce?
Yes. Series of events:

Divorce 2008
Did work in 2009 per tax return
** (Approved for SSDI with disability beginning Dec 2009)
Unable to find work.
Sept 2011 applied to SS first time
Approval for SSDI April 2012. **

Trying to back date termination of Alimony to when it first began.

Have you tried calling attorneys in your area to see if any are available for an hour's consultation?
Yes, I have. And I finally got in touch with one about a month ago. He said it sounded like I am on the right track on what I had done so far. And if I feel I can't handle it GET an Attorney. He said even with my income he would need 1500 retainer to review all documents and proceed. And as far as terminating alimony back to the day it began that it sounds like the may be trying to attack the "defaulted" divorce.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, I have. And I finally got in touch with one about a month ago. He said it sounded like I am on the right track on what I had done so far. And if I feel I can't handle it GET an Attorney. He said even with my income he would need 1500 retainer to review all documents and proceed. And as far as terminating alimony back to the day it began that it sounds like the may be trying to attack the "defaulted" divorce.
The divorce judgment was a DEFAULT? You better hope you can prove service was perfected properly.

The divorce judgment was a DEFAULT? You better hope you can prove service was perfected properly.

I believe so, unless this attny on the phone meant defaulted alimony. All papers were signed and uncontested by ex. Including asking for the Alimony amount which was well spelled out. I am not sure he was "served per se" I believe we went to a notary together and signed. He simply did not show up the day of the divorce ruling.
Its been so long I can't quite remember but I have requested to see my file physically with the court. I will have to double check on that. Because I made sure to follow the divorce packet to a tee.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I believe so, unless this attny on the phone meant defaulted alimony. All papers were signed and uncontested by ex. Including asking for the Alimony amount which was well spelled out. I am not sure he was "served per se" I believe we went to a notary together and signed. He simply did not show up the day of the divorce ruling.
Its been so long I can't quite remember but I have requested to see my file physically with the court. I will have to double check on that. Because I made sure to follow the divorce packet to a tee.
If he didn't sign a waiver of service AND he was NOT served, he can get it all thrown out. That is a big problem.

If he didn't sign a waiver of service AND he was NOT served, he can get it all thrown out. That is a big problem.
Checked records at courthouse and made copies. He did sign an acceptance of service at a notary of all divorce paperwork including alimony amount. And in minute entry of Alimony judgement default it is not checked "stipulated court trial" is checked. But there was no financial affidavit submitted on his part at the time.

P.S. Was checking again at the court law library. When helper said...we have volunteer lawyers coming in at 2 with 1 slot of five open. Signed UP! YAY! Hopefully, with my documentation and questions he/she can guide me a bit.

Proserpina

Given the fact that he is now considered disabled, it is entirely possible that the alimony will be modified downwards if not stopped entirely.

Thank you and UPDATE

Thank you for all of your support and help in pointing me in the right directions. It is so appreciated.

So, that it might help others...

-I spoke to a volunteer attny at the Superior Court Library after signing up. (Check your court Library to see what help they have available).

-I took all paperwork relevant to case and was prepared to discuss only key issues.

-After Attny reviewed some documents. His advice to ME was:
Ex will play heck trying to reverse or terminate divorce agreement he signed that included alimony papers since they are asking for modification/termination to the beginning date of order. Because he had reasonable time to object and did not. He possibly could get modification for a reduction based on evidence of disability. I just had to make sure ALL documents are served by the court and law properly!

As for as me presenting evidence over 3 years old (because most requests for documentations that I have seen keep referring to past three years). That threw my off. I was told I could simply take to court and produce evidence of lack of substantial change of income. And "I could" also notify defendants Attny of documentation if I want to. I do not have to submit to court FIRST. Although I will probably give them a copy just to have on file. Im not sure at this time. Rule of thumb for me...safe than sorry.

And "the plan" the Judge refers to in the Minute Entry.... Can be presented in court, no written notification ahead of time is needed. And the Attny today explained in detail what the judge was wanting to be presented. Simply and concise.

And the Attny said I was doing really well on my own! So...:p LOL!

In response to: "Proserpina
Given the fact that he is now considered disabled, it is entirely possible that the alimony will be modified downwards if not stopped entirely."

Thank you. I am fully aware that those possibilities may occur. I trying to be optimistic yet cautious. Ultimately no matter what its in the Judges hands and I am fine with that. ;)

This is only my experience, not necessarily advice, which is never truly typical because not all cases are identical. So, research, research, research.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">